93g Rimless Artistic Lagoon Tank Ideas ?

BRS

427HISS

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 93g cube and I'm thinking about creating a really different lagoon. Obvious, it won't be a typical shallow lagoon, but a tall one. I've seen some incredible fresh water lagoons/ terrarium tanks on YouTube, so essence, the same look, but a saltwater tank. I've like the look of a volcano in the center, rising above the water line. Full of algae plants, mangroves etc, Lots of smaller fish, Sri Lanka, star fish, and a large Hermit Crab, that can hike up to the top of the volcano, out of the water at will. lol. We had one many years ago that was the size of your thumb and grew to between a golf ball and a tennis ball, starting in a 29g, to a 75g then to a 200g. He was boss over our Clown Trigger Bubba Joe. lol He was awesome to watch and handle. He'd run from one side to the other for preped food waving his huge claw. "I'm coming, I'm coming'' lol.

Anyway, I have a mixture of Tonga branch and the BRS white rock to use. I remember someone asking if volcano rock is ok to use in our reef tanks, but I can't find any information ?

So, I'll appreciate your ideas, photo's, videos and advice.

Avast

ISpeakForTheSeas

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyway, I have a mixture of Tonga branch and the BRS white rock to use. I remember someone asking if volcano rock is ok to use in our reef tanks, but I can't find any information ?
I don't have much in the way of ideas or advice, but with regards to the volcanic rock (scoria rock being the kind of volcanic rock typically used in aquariums): long story short, yes, you can use it (but it's probably not ideal).

People will likely warn you that it could leach toxic metals into your tank and nuke it. This is technically theoretically possible (and there is some slight evidence at this point to suggest that some leaching may happen and cause increased/prolonged algae issues/ugly stage issues - though the instances I have seen in depth info for with this had many other variables at play as well), but I have literally never come across any evidence of this leaching causing tank crashing (or even inverts dying from leaching copper) despite actively looking for it. So, as long as you do watch for issues, you should be fine.

*(In complete seriousness, if anyone has solid evidence of tank nuking happening as a result of the use of lava rock - even anecdotal evidence that just ruled out all or most other potential causes of issues - I would genuinely love to see it; all the evidence that I've seen so far - which involves very few claims of the rock actually crashing the tank - had about a thousand different variables involved that could have caused the crash regardless of the rock.)*

That said, here are a couple of other points that are definitely valid: volcanic rock tends to be sharper/more jagged, and can more easily injure fish (particularly depending on the fish kept in the tank); and volcanic rock lacks the pH buffering abilities of calcium carbonate rock.
Volcanic rock being igeneous won't break down into the water like the limestone rocks we use. However they may contain unknown elements within them that may leach. Also one reason we use limestone is that it naturally adds alkalinity to the water. So though they won't decrease the Ph themselves they won't prevent Ph changes. This may cause the natural Ph to be lower and/or more susceptible to Ph swings.

I've heard multiple people such as The Everyday Aquarist who mention algae issues when using lava rock. That suggests to me that it perhaps leaches elements such as iron which is often a limiting element in algae growth in the ocean.

I'd also worry about fake lava rock or lava rock that has been treated with chemicals. With that in mind I'd use lava rock specifically for aquariums rather than for landscaping and other uses.
And here's a breakdown of the average composition of lava rock just because (scoria is vesicular basalt, so the basalt category would apply to it):

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar

Slocke

Wrasse Nerd
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd recommend you watch all everyday aquarists videos on volcanic rock. This is his 6 months update:

I know he has a more recent and more positive video on it as well.

Along with that I'm yet to have issues using seriyu rock which is a dark and pretty rock you may also like. It is calcium carbonate like "reef" rock but also has veins of quartz. Quartz does contain silicate which is rumored to grow diatoms and sponges. I have sponges but no diatoms.

OP
OP
427HISS

427HISS

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have much in the way of ideas or advice, but with regards to the volcanic rock (scoria rock being the kind of volcanic rock typically used in aquariums): long story short, yes, you can use it (but it's probably not ideal).

People will likely warn you that it could leach toxic metals into your tank and nuke it. This is technically theoretically possible (and there is some slight evidence at this point to suggest that some leaching may happen and cause increased/prolonged algae issues/ugly stage issues - though the instances I have seen in depth info for with this had many other variables at play as well), but I have literally never come across any evidence of this leaching causing tank crashing (or even inverts dying from leaching copper) despite actively looking for it. So, as long as you do watch for issues, you should be fine.

*(In complete seriousness, if anyone has solid evidence of tank nuking happening as a result of the use of lava rock - even anecdotal evidence that just ruled out all or most other potential causes of issues - I would genuinely love to see it; all the evidence that I've seen so far - which involves very few claims of the rock actually crashing the tank - had about a thousand different variables involved that could have caused the crash regardless of the rock.)*

That said, here are a couple of other points that are definitely valid: volcanic rock tends to be sharper/more jagged, and can more easily injure fish (particularly depending on the fish kept in the tank); and volcanic rock lacks the pH buffering abilities of calcium carbonate rock.

And here's a breakdown of the average composition of lava rock just because (scoria is vesicular basalt, so the basalt category would apply to it):

One thing in question about leaching toxic metals. People with fresh water aquariums have used volcanic rock for decades, without any issues, so why in saltwater ?

With sharp edges of volcano rock, I don't know if their any worse than the BRS white rock, but it's a good question ?

AS

ISpeakForTheSeas

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing in question about leaching toxic metals. People with fresh water aquariums have used volcanic rock for decades, without any issues, so why in saltwater ?

With sharp edges of volcano rock, I don't know if their any worse than the BRS white rock, but it's a good question ?
Supposedly the metals are more likely to leach in saltwater for chemistry reasons that I haven't looked into much, but yeah, it's used without issue is fresh water aquariums, and there are a number of people who use it without issue in their saltwater tanks too. Personally, until I see some solid evidence that it causes serious (non-algal) issues, I wouldn't worry about the leaching at all.

I don't know how it compares to the BRS white rock, it's just a point that I've heard (it was mostly pointed out as a potential risk for fish that scare easy and bolt when frightened, and for fish that tend to dwell at the bottom/along the rock since they're in contact with the rock a lot more than the average fish).

blaxsun

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We saw the new Avatar a couple of days ago. lol. Yes, that would be different. Any idea on how to make them ?
Yes - they detailed everything here (freshwater - but I imagine you could easily adopt this for saltwater). There is also a company that makes 3D-printed magnetic rocks for going on the back.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Big Sale !! UP To 50% OFF !! On Fish Antibiotics
Back