Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys - starting a 90 gallon Sps frag tank. Any suggestions for numbers and type of fish. Looking for a core group of herbivores, and a mix of other fish for pest control. Will be a bare bottom tank. Thanks for your suggestions!

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys - starting a 90 gallon Sps frag tank. Any suggestions for numbers and type of fish. Looking for a core group of herbivores, and a mix of other fish for pest control. Will be a bare bottom tank. Thanks for your suggestions!
Out of curiosity, do you plan on having a sand pot in the corner?
Or even just a fine layer of 1-2” sand in the bottom, I highly recommend 2-3 wrasses for pests, Halichoeres species are the best with this.
For herbivores, I’d add a Foxface and a Ctenochaetus species of tang, I have this combo in my mixed reef and they’re perfect. Avoid blennies - These guys have SPS in their wild diet.

Leo_ian

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Out of curiosity, do you plan on having a sand pot in the corner?
Or even just a fine layer of 1-2” sand in the bottom, I highly recommend 2-3 wrasses for pests, Halichoeres species are the best with this.
For herbivores, I’d add a Foxface and a Ctenochaetus species of tang, I have this combo in my mixed reef and they’re perfect. Avoid blennies - These guys have SPS in their wild diet.
not all blennies are corallivores, most reports come from the Ecsenius genus and the leopard blenny. ive had no problems with my algae blenny

Corals.com

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not all blennies are corallivores, most reports come from the Ecsenius genus and the leopard blenny. ive had no problems with my algae blenny
I’ve had issues with most of the common blennies in captivity, including the Salarias genus.

CLICK TO VIEW

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you could probably do a one spot foxface, pink streak wrasse for pest control (if you dont have a sand tub), yellow coris if you have a sand tub, and a captive bred aptasia eating filefish (biota ones specifically)
The filefish also risk having a diet of corals, even CB ones can go for SPS IME.

Nutramar

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Geo's Reef
Back