Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First time posting, so please direct me to the correct forum if this is not the place.
I have a 9 year old mated female clownfish who has spawn many clutches over the last 2 years. Now she has what looks like lock-jaw for the last 3 weeks and I wonder if her aging is what is causing this. I can see clearly into her mouth and don't see obvious objects. Tank is 45 gallon and houses her mate and a pair of mated pigmy file fish. Tank is health and she is not showing signs of weight loss but she is showing some color loss in spotty patterns. I've had her 9 years and I find that amazing in itself and reaching to see if there's anything I can do or if it's a natural aging process. Thanks. [HASH=1]#reefsquad[/HASH]

20230218_141722.jpg

Last edited:
Nutramar Foods
www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First time posting, so please direct me to the correct forum if this is not the place.
I have a 9 year old mated female clownfish who has spawn many clutches over the last 2 years. Now she has what looks like lock-jaw for the last 3 weeks and I wonder if her aging is what is causing this. I can see clearly into her mouth and don't see obvious objects. Tank is 45 gallon and houses her mate and a pair of mated pigmy file fish. Tank is health and she is not showing signs of weight loss but she is showing some color loss in spotty patterns. I've had her 9 years and I find that amazing in itself and reaching to see if there's anything I can do or if it's a natural aging process. Thanks. [HASH=1]#reefsquad[/HASH]

View attachment 3028567

Hi, sorry - I'm just seeing your post.

First thing, can you post a video? I want to try and figure out if the fish's mouth is open like that due to a mechanical issue, or if it is open due to rapid respiration.

Is the clown still feeding?

Nine years is a pretty good length of time for a clownfish, but the record is north of 20 years for larger species, and probably 15 for this type.

Jay

OP
OP
D

Daniel Blythe

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, sorry - I'm just seeing your post.

First thing, can you post a video? I want to try and figure out if the fish's mouth is open like that due to a mechanical issue, or if it is open due to rapid respiration.

Is the clown still feeding?

Nine years is a pretty good length of time for a clownfish, but the record is north of 20 years for larger species, and probably 15 for this type.

Jay
Hi Jay, It's hard to tell if she's still feeding as I haven't seen her or her mouth move. Day 4 : Last night her color got very pale and didn't think she'd make it till morning but she did. Her color is slightly back, and splotchy. Her mate is keeping his distance, whereas before he was at her side 90% of the time, Like he knows something is wrong. I've taken a short video. I think her mouth issue is mechanical, I have not seen her mouth move once since it started. She has not approached the frozen food food cubes in days. She't doesn't appear to be heavy breathing yet and it staying in the same cave. I'm keeping the lights low and did a water change yesterday. Thanks so much for reaching out! I appreciate you help! Daniel

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Jay, It's hard to tell if she's still feeding as I haven't seen her or her mouth move. Day 4 : Last night her color got very pale and didn't think she'd make it till morning but she did. Her color is slightly back, and splotchy. Her mate is keeping his distance, whereas before he was at her side 90% of the time, Like he knows something is wrong. I've taken a short video. I think her mouth issue is mechanical, I have not seen her mouth move once since it started. She has not approached the frozen food food cubes in days. She't doesn't appear to be heavy breathing yet and it staying in the same cave. I'm keeping the lights low and did a water change yesterday. Thanks so much for reaching out! I appreciate you help! Daniel
View attachment 3031438

Sorry - that does look like mechanical damage, not sure from what though. Typically, there isn't any way to "treat" this sort of thing in fish.

Jay

OP
OP
D

Daniel Blythe

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry - that does look like mechanical damage, not sure from what though. Typically, there isn't any way to "treat" this sort of thing in fish.

Jay
Any idea why she would be going so pale at night time? it's 10: 20 Pm EST, tank lights are out and she's very pale color where her dark brown would be. Would that be lack of oxygen? Should I repost on the [HASH=55964]#fishmedic[/HASH] ?
Thanks everyone for the assistance!

Top Shelf Aquatics

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any idea why she would be going so pale at night time? it's 10: 20 Pm EST, tank lights are out and she's very pale color where her dark brown would be. Would that be lack of oxygen? Should I repost on the [HASH=55964]#fishmedic[/HASH] ?
Thanks everyone for the assistance!

Pale coloration at night is common with some species of fish, and other fish turn pale when stressed. Clownfish don't turn pale at night, so I would have to say that this is associated with stress from the mouth damage.

Jay

OP
OP
D

Daniel Blythe

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Everyone, thanks for all your replies.
Update. Bubbie as I fondly called her from day 1 almost 9 years ago has passed on.
So sad to watch her mate try to keep her afloat until he didn't.
I buried her out in the garden. Yep. Sad after 9 years. Thanks again all.

World Wide Corals

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

AquaNerd
Back