8ft Long Shallow Reef Paludarium

Danny's Aquariums

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My new aquarium, finally ready. A saltwater paludarium with a mini tide pool!

The dimensions of the aquarium are 250 x 55 x 30 centimeters. So about 8ft in length. It's a setup without a sump, skimmer, or any other form of filtration except for a small surface skimmer behind the reef to remove the ‘biofilm’ from the water. There is no overflow, so the surface skimmer is necessary.

Flow and return pumps are embedded in several places in the reef to ensure adequate flow everywhere. Aside from the two pumps on either side of the tank and the lighting above it, the rest is nicely hidden in compartments behind the rocks.

There are two heaters in those compartments, one on the left and one on the right. A mist maker has also been installed to moisten the plants at certain times of the day. The aquarium has been running for about a month now, and the plants above the tank and the fish in the tank are doing incredibly well. Time to build up the reef with coral and macro algae — any suggestions?

IMG_0020 2.jpg IMG_0013.jpg IMG_0686.jpg IMG_0998.jpg IMG_1005.jpg IMG_1006.jpg IMG_1008.jpg IMG_1011.jpg

Gumbies R Us

Certified Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The dimensions of the aquarium are 250 x 55 x 30 centimeters. So about 8ft in length. It's a setup without a sump, skimmer, or any other form of filtration except for a small surface skimmer behind the reef to remove the ‘biofilm’ from the water. There is no overflow, so the surface skimmer is necessary.

Flow and return pumps are embedded in several places in the reef to ensure adequate flow everywhere. Aside from the two pumps on either side of the tank and the lighting above it, the rest is nicely hidden in compartments behind the rocks.

There are two heaters in those compartments, one on the left and one on the right. A mist maker has also been installed to moisten the plants at certain times of the day. The aquarium has been running for about a month now, and the plants above the tank and the fish in the tank are doing incredibly well. Time to build up the reef with coral and macro algae — any suggestions?

IMG_0020 2.jpg IMG_0013.jpg IMG_0686.jpg IMG_0998.jpg IMG_1005.jpg IMG_1006.jpg IMG_1008.jpg IMG_1011.jpg
That is one incredible-looking tank!

Tavero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Already seen that vid when you released it. YouTube algorithm did a good job for once.

If I ever get a larger tank, something similar to this would be my dream.
Imho the plant part is a bit too much, but a lagoon tank with a mangrove and a land part like this would be awesome.

Edit: can you do a video about maintenance? While you said the pumps and heater are easily accessible I wonder how easy exactly it is. Will you be able to easily clean them at least once a month?

Tavero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Time to build up the reef with coral and macro algae — any suggestions?
I would probably avoid sps. If they're starting to turn from frag to establised coral, they will reach the surface very fast and look out of place. A collection of zoanthids and acan lords would be optimal. Tide zones are their natural habitate. Maybe some blastomussa, favia and other lps.

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

this is absolutely gorgeous, and I am extremely jealous. Thank you for sharing with us.

OP
OP
Danny's Aquariums

Danny's Aquariums

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is truly a piece of living art, great job.

I almost deleted my IG account today when I seen all the "know it all haters" bashing your work.

BRAVO on this build !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Criticism is great! Nothing more than motivation to do even better!

OP
OP
Danny's Aquariums

Danny's Aquariums

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Already seen that vid when you released it. YouTube algorithm did a good job for once.

If I ever get a larger tank, something similar to this would be my dream.
Imho the plant part is a bit too much, but a lagoon tank with a mangrove and a land part like this would be awesome.

Edit: can you do a video about maintenance? While you said the pumps and heater are easily accessible I wonder how easy exactly it is. Will you be able to easily clean them at least once a month?
Definitely going to do a video on maintenance once it’s established a bit more! :)

Throughout the next few months, we’ll definitely make some adjustments to the plant section as well. Trail and error! There are a few things I want to change a little bit. But it’s working great so far.

On the left, I have one return pump and a small heater. I can access them by lifting the plant compartment up a bit. The other return pumps are in the compartment behind/underneath the “mountain”. Same thing, I can reach behind it and take them out if necessary. The heater is behind the tide pool, no challenge there.

I’ll post more info with videos about the system very soon! :)

dkline

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Very cool. What lights are you using?

Inesq.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please make a more detailed video / photo guide to how the filtrations work, I want make a 80x60x35 aquarium base on what you did but I'm curios on how u are planning to service / clean the pumps and if the pumps have any kind of sponges around them to not get clogged. Looking forward for an update.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back