8 month old Blue spot watchmen goby missing for a week, and brand new purple fire fish missing for two weeks

JonnyDabs710

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently had everything in a 32 biocube but moved everything over to a 40 gallon breeder from aqueon because the biocube had a leak. I used new sand and new water and re used the live rock from the 32 gallon bio cube to get the new 40 gallon tank cycled. After getting the new tank cycled I added all the fish and cuc to the new tank consisting of
2 ocellaris clownfish
1 six line wrasse
1 blue spot watchmen goby
1 Pistol shrimp
1 blue damsel
Scarlett hermit crabs
3 nassareus snails
5 Trochus snails

All the fish and cuc were doing fine and eating everyday and coming out. I added a purple fire fish and three green chromis a month after the fish were all eating and doing well. Today marks two weeks that I haven’t seen the purple fire fish, and I haven’t seen my blue spot watchmen goby in about a week now. I’m getting concerned because I moved the rock a few times now in hopes of finding either the blue spot watchmen or the purple fire fish. Yesterday I happened to find the pistol shrimp in his little cave digging but no sign of the blue spot watchmen goby. I’ve checked all around the tank to see if either of the fish possibly jumped but they’re not on the floor. I’m only running the tank on a canister filter at the moment so I checked inside that and there’s no fish inside there either (didn't think they could fit there anyways). Basically I’m looking for any advice on whether the goby or the fire fish might still be in my tank. Parameters are
Salinity: 1.026
Ph: 8.2
Ammonia: 0 (Api test kit)
Nitrite: 0 (api test kit)
Nitrate: 5
phosphate: .05
Calcium: 450
Alkalinity: 9.5
Magnesium: 1500
I use hannah checkers for testing except two

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you don't have a tight fitting cover on the tank, my guess is they jumped out, dried and shrunk on the floor, and if you have a cat or dog, eaten.

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My firefish went missing for so long that I wrote him off as dead. It was a few months! Then one day, out of the blue, I looked and saw him swimming in the middle of the tank, looking very healthy, like "nothing to see here". It was crazy, but made me happy none the less. also, my yellow watchman goby periodically goes MIA for few days at a time. Then randomly pops up. Gobies are weird little fish for sure. I would not worry too much as long as you have looked well for them around the tank. They will show back up most likely.

OP
OP
JonnyDabs710

JonnyDabs710

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My firefish went missing for so long that I wrote him off as dead. It was a few months! Then one day, out of the blue, I looked and saw him swimming in the middle of the tank, looking very healthy, like "nothing to see here". It was crazy, but made me happy none the less. also, my yellow watchman goby periodically goes MIA for few days at a time. Then randomly pops up. Gobies are weird little fish for sure. I would not worry too much as long as you have looked well for them around the tank. They will show back up most likely.
Yes I moved all the rocks and moved everything multiple times looking for them. I just didn’t want them to decompose in the tank so I was worried about a possible nutrient spike and leading to other deaths. I found the pistol shrimp underneath a rock when I lifted it up but the goby wasn’t with him so it worried me more. I’ve looked all around the floor near the tank just to rule that out so they must be in the tank somewhere. I’m not going to disturb the rock or anything anymore and just hope they appear eventually.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back