Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I picked up an old scratched up aqueon evolve 8 gallon tank and I didn’t know it was old and scratched , anyone have ideas what to do with it? I want a small tank like this with clowns and an anemone because I can’t have one as for my baby mandarin. I was thinking of a drag tank but it’s too small, maybe a quarantine, but I really want like a pico tank. Not really, but similar to that. I was wondering if I could stock it with a pair of clownfish, and a clean up crew and a sexy shrimp? I want a harlequin but it might be too expensive too keep. Thanks!

Mr_Knightley

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In eight gallons, I would restrict the fish limit to one unless you can find an already bonded pair of clowns. Sexy shrimp are awesome, in smaller tanks they can really take the spotlight. Any anemones in a tank that small would be difficult, the only nem I would recommend for that size tank would be a few mini carpets, but clowns don't host those (sexy shrimp do though).

OP
OP
Anak’s Reef

Anak’s Reef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In eight gallons, I would restrict the fish limit to one unless you can find an already bonded pair of clowns. Sexy shrimp are awesome, in smaller tanks they can really take the spotlight. Any anemones in a tank that small would be difficult, the only nem I would recommend for that size tank would be a few mini carpets, but clowns don't host those (sexy shrimp do though).

Oh okay. Thanks for replying. My lfs has a lot of designer clown pairs, I’ll have to work it out and see if they have a smaller pair. Ahh, yeah, I really like the sexy shrimp, I like unique ones. I wish a rbta could fit, you can’t frag rbta’s? Or do they have to split? I’ve seen some people with nems in their smaller tank, maybe a small one could work? Also, I’m curious, is it because they grow bigger? Or because they move around? I was thinking if I got a bta I would put that in the tank before any other coral so it can find a good spot and stay there before I add other corals. Thanks so much for the reply!

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Mr_Knightley

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh okay. Thanks for replying. My lfs has a lot of designer clown pairs, I’ll have to work it out and see if they have a smaller pair. Ahh, yeah, I really like the sexy shrimp, I like unique ones. I wish a rbta could fit, you can’t frag rbta’s? Or do they have to split? I’ve seen some people with nems in their smaller tank, maybe a small one could work? Also, I’m curious, is it because they grow bigger? Or because they move around? I was thinking if I got a bta I would put that in the tank before any other coral so it can find a good spot and stay there before I add other corals. Thanks so much for the reply!

Any pair of clowns should do perfect, as long as they know each other and don't fight too often.
The big problem with BTAs is that they grow and split very fast when they are happy. even if you got a tiny one, it would get a whole lot bigger as it grows and may take over the whole tank. And if a BTA isn't happy enough to grow and split it's typically on death door, and a dead anemone would foul up that tank very fast. BTAs also rely on very stable water conditions that are just hard to maintain in such a small tank without a good bit of prior experience. Mini carpets and flower nems are far more suitable for smaller tanks due to both smaller maximum sizes and lower propensity to wander. Both species host sexy shrimp but neither will host clowns sadly.

OP
OP
Anak’s Reef

Anak’s Reef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any pair of clowns should do perfect, as long as they know each other and don't fight too often.
The big problem with BTAs is that they grow and split very fast when they are happy. even if you got a tiny one, it would get a whole lot bigger as it grows and may take over the whole tank. And if a BTA isn't happy enough to grow and split it's typically on death door, and a dead anemone would foul up that tank very fast. BTAs also rely on very stable water conditions that are just hard to maintain in such a small tank without a good bit of prior experience. Mini carpets and flower nems are far more suitable for smaller tanks due to both smaller maximum sizes and lower propensity to wander. Both species host sexy shrimp but neither will host clowns sadly.
Ohhh. Okay, thanks so much. Does a sexy shrimp have to host something? Do they host other corals or just anemones, I think rock flowers are cool so I’ll see about that, for the clowns do you th8nk if I add in a toadstool as my first coral or the flower nem, as the first which will be better and will the clowns host the toadstool eventually? I have a 20g, but I don’t have anything my clowns would like to host in that tank. I really want my clowns to host something, I really love watching clowns host. Also, if I do make the tank a tank, this is all the animals I can get other than a couple of snails right? Thank you so much for your help, I really .

Mr_Knightley

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ohhh. Okay, thanks so much. Does a sexy shrimp have to host something? Do they host other corals or just anemones, I think rock flowers are cool so I’ll see about that, for the clowns do you th8nk if I add in a toadstool as my first coral or the flower nem, as the first which will be better and will the clowns host the toadstool eventually? I have a 20g, but I don’t have anything my clowns would like to host in that tank. I really want my clowns to host something, I really love watching clowns host. Also, if I do make the tank a tank, this is all the animals I can get other than a couple of snails right? Thank you so much for your help, I really .

Sexy shrimp will live on anything, but they are naturally anemone shrimps. Clowns likewise will either host or not host, what they choose to live in can vary from a powerhead to a random snail. It may be wise to add a the toadstool along with the nems for sure, just to distract the clowns from the nems.

OP
OP
Anak’s Reef

Anak’s Reef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sexy shrimp will live on anything, but they are naturally anemone shrimps. Clowns likewise will either host or not host, what they choose to live in can vary from a powerhead to a random snail. It may be wise to add a the toadstool along with the nems for sure, just to distract the clowns from the nems.

Oh okay. I’ve been looking at some rock flower anemones that look pretty. I may get a toadstool and the nem. I’ll have to discuss with my family whether we will use the tank as a small reef tank or a quarantine. It has lots of scratches so, or maybe we will use the tank as a QT and the pump and light and stuff we got with it for a different tank. Thank you sooo much for your help.

OP
OP
Anak’s Reef

Anak’s Reef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh okay. I’ve been looking at some rock flower anemones that look pretty. I may get a toadstool and the nem. I’ll have to discuss with my family whether we will use the tank as a small reef tank or a quarantine. It has lots of scratches so, or maybe we will use the tank as a QT and the pump and light and stuff we got with it for a different tank. Thank you sooo much for your help.

One more question, I heard that rocks flowers move around the first week or so to find their home, if I add them with a toadstool, wouldn’t they sting it if they move around?

Mr_Knightley

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One more question, I heard that rocks flowers move around the first week or so to find their home, if I add them with a toadstool, wouldn’t they sting it if they move around?
Flower nems tend to stay near the bottom of the tank, they'll bury their foot in the sand when they find the right place. If you place to toadstool higher up the rocks then it should be perfectly fine. One word of caution though, if you choose to get a toadstool deeply consider adding carbon or Purigen to the tank to suck out potential toxins it may release if it gets stung.

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar
OP
OP
Anak’s Reef

Anak’s Reef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flower nems tend to stay near the bottom of the tank, they'll bury their foot in the sand when they find the right place. If you place to toadstool higher up the rocks then it should be perfectly fine. One word of caution though, if you choose to get a toadstool deeply consider adding carbon or Purigen to the tank to suck out potential toxins it may release if it gets stung.
yup, will do. that's why I'm not adding one to my 20, well half the reason. 1: my family doesn't want a toadstool, but if I have this tank, my dad will let me because I found $10 toadstool frags onBoston Reefers. 2: they have toxins and my mom is overly protective about that stuff. i hop ill be able to do this. thanks so much!

OP
OP
Anak’s Reef

Anak’s Reef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yup, will do. that's why I'm not adding one to my 20, well half the reason. 1: my family doesn't want a toadstool, but if I have this tank, my dad will let me because I found $10 toadstool frags onBoston Reefers. 2: they have toxins and my mom is overly protective about that stuff. i hop ill be able to do this. thanks so much!
also, how many sexy shrimp would I be able to put in there? i know people say sometimes you cant see them but do you think 2 will be enough or too much, or perfect? thanks!

Mr_Knightley

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
also, how many sexy shrimp would I be able to put in there? i know people say sometimes you cant see them but do you think 2 will be enough or too much, or perfect? thanks!
I think a group of 4-5 would be the maximum, a pair would do well too though

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
Anak’s Reef

Anak’s Reef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think a group of 4-5 would be the maximum, a pair would do well too though

Wow really? 4-5? That’s a lot, but yay! Maybe I will do a group of 3 or 4. Just so there’s not too many shrimps everywhere. Hahahha. Thank you so much!

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Back