Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there. My 75g is still in the cycling process (only on day 3) and I’m doing a fishless cycle. But I’ve made a stocking list of the fish I’m looking to get when it’s ready. Is there a certain order any specific fish needs to be introduced? I know the copperband butterfly can be difficult to keep and be shy…should I introduce that one first then?

5700081B-6C38-4624-8595-84A314DA8CC7.jpeg 8FE45650-E255-44F8-8FE3-226E871FD474.jpeg

Nutramar Foods

Petcrazyson

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there. My 75g is still in the cycling process (only on day 3) and I’m doing a fishless cycle. But I’ve made a stocking list of the fish I’m looking to get when it’s ready. Is there a certain order any specific fish needs to be introduced? I know the copperband butterfly can be difficult to keep and be shy…should I introduce that one first then?

View attachment 3086118 View attachment 3086119
Hi! Hope these suggestions help!

Tail Spot Blenny: Nice fish. Gives great character, and they don’t get aggressive usually. Be careful as it can turn rogue and take a liking to SPS, especially Monti’s and Millie’s.

Cardianls: Honestly not my cup of tea but a real nice fish especially for a beginner. Nice color patterns. I wouldn’t go too crazy on numbers and only get a pair or a trio of them, but that’s just my personal preference. Great fish if you want to start breeding fish.

Tangs: Bristletooth tangs are real nice they don’t get too big or overly aggressive like the Acanthurus, unless you get a jerk, and don’t require as much swimroom. A 75 gallon 4 foot however is still small for a long term project. Ideally once you see them get too pacy around the tank, or start to get aggressive and finicky is a good sign they need an upgrade. Some people say from a year or two to only a few months or several years, but it all depends on the fish. You will enjoy some good time with them until the time comes to upgrade so don’t give it too much thought now unless it is something you want to really think about. I’d go WTKT (and from Tahiti) IMO.

A CBB is not for the beginner aquarist. I’d definitely advise for you to get some good amount of experience and and expertise with some more sensitive and hard to keep fish. Not saying you can’t keep one and it’s impossible to keep for a beginner. CBB’s are famous for their short life span in tanks and deaths, but not from disease. Actually it’s getting them to feed. They just won’t eat and starve themselves or have internal parasites. If you are set on getting one, make sure to get a fat fat one, find a skinny one and it should be avoided. Ask the LFS employees to feed it and watch it carefully. You need a CBB that eats with vigor! Not a few pecks or checking the food out before eating actually going crazy at it. And if there are other fish in the tank, make sure it stands good chance with all the other at feeding time and not being shy. They are commonly seen with Lymphocystis so steer clear of any of these guys that has white small and or large pieces of solid “stuff” on them, not referring to whitespots (ich) but obviously steer clear if you see one with it. Adding it first could help, but a more established tank with micro fauna is more beneficial, hence the reason why if you get one it should stand it’s ground against other fish and eat vigorously.

Midas Blenny: Super personable fish, one of my favorites, and if you have Anthias they will ‘school’ with them and behave like them. Real big jumpers so a lid is a must, they will find that tiniest gap.

Petcrazyson

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

View attachment 3086118 View attachment 3086119
Anthias: They will need frequent feedings or at least twice a day, and can get quite finicky. At least 4 or 5 fish is a must to keep the attention from the male divided well enough throughout the females as in small groups the females perish of over exhaustion commonly, and then you end up with one mean male Anthias that will prove feisty against other fish. I’d suggest Bimacs or Lyertail’s as they are a little hardier than the Evansi and Bartlett’s IME, also very pretty.

Royal Gramma: Very very peaceful, and cryptic, real nice addition and pretty easy. Make sure they do get enough food, as they sometimes tend to get much less food than all the other fish if they are of a shyer personality than most.

Firefish are nice, and the Elegant “purple” is a good choice. Lid is a must as well.

Now Sand Sifters. I could not stress enough on how much of a mature established tank they NEED to survive. They get 90% of their food and energy from the micro fauna in the sand bed, which is why you’ll see them sifting and munching through sand all day, and only 10% from the actual food we supplement them with. They need a deep rich sand bed blooming with life, and a tank at least a year to two years of establishment. They will find any and every hole to jump out of as well, so lid is a must.

edit: Look at user ‘i cant think’ ‘s article he has done on these sifter gobies. Expert information from a good friend of mine.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
PremiumAquatics.com
Back