Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for some opinions on making my decision for my next tank build, I have the opportunity to accquire these tanks from a friend and as much as I was dead set on going as big as I can at the moment with a 125 gallon I'm having semi second thoughts and can't decide now.

75 Gallon

The 75 gallon tank is not "reef ready" it is not drilled and just a basic tank, I'm looking to go FOWLR for the most part with this tank, and keep my Flex as my reef tank, I may add some basic cheap corals, but due to the inhabitants I want, most of them are not totally "reef safe" so I won't be adding a ton in. Not having a sump I'm thinking I can add a big canister filter or something of the sort? I'm not a huge fan of the HOB skimmers, but will go that route if I have to. This tank won't take much planning for me to setup as I can easily find a spot in my living room and get a stand and get it set up. I'm sure finding a stand for it will also be a lot easier than for the 125. Obviously this will limit my live stock choices a considerable bit which is one of the main reasons I wanted to go bigger to begin with.

That being said, even with the 125 a lot of the fish I wanted to add originally will still be too large for the 125 so I'm not dead set that I even need the extra space of the 125 due to not being able to put a few of the fish I wanted when I set up my "large tank" such as a dog face, and most triggers.

125 Gallon
This tank is drilled and "reef ready" will require me to set up a sump, which I'm unfamiliar with. I've been sumpless for about 15 years, so it will be like learning all over again. Especially with not wanting to flood my home with any mishaps. I had a 125 years ago, and had no issues with where it was placed, I can place it in the same spot, but will probably look into adding extra supports due to having the weight of the sump. (last 125 was sumpless). Or my other idea, which would cause a ton more work, but look great if done correctly would be to set it up in another room that is connected to our living room, there is a large window between the rooms that could be removed to give the appearance of the "built in" look, which I think would look great if properly executed and would also not deduct any useable space from the living room. This is obviously a lot bigger cost, and a lot bigger work load.

I'm questioning now, is it worth it? Do you have a 75 gallon and are you happy with it? Do you wish you went bigger? Do you have a 125 and feel like it's too big or wasted space? Are the options of live stock very different between the 50 gallon difference of the 2? I'm concerned with having proper filtration if I do the 75 gallon without the sump, and that I will regret not going bigger. With the 125 I'm concerned about the amount of work and planning, setting up a sump properly and if the extra size will make much of a difference with my plans.

Mostly just up for a discussion, some ideas, and anything else involving these plans!

Top Shelf Aquatics

bushdoc

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something tells me that you already decided which way to go. Since I do not have any expierience with sumpless systems, I cannot comment on canister filters for FOWLR tank. I am pretty sure people are using them.
You will definitely need a good skimmer and options for sumpless system are limited.Other than HOB skimmers, there are internal skimmers like Tunze Comline, although they are pricey.

mjw011689

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If either would be fowlr then the 75 would be much simpler. That being said, personally I’d never do another tank without a sump, even if it’s a Fowlr. The ability to hide the heater alone is enough for me. But then the added benefit of having a place to put an ATO where it is reliable and doesn’t look ugly is also a game changer. Those 2 reasons alone are enough for me to pay extra for a sump and plumbing and a pump (which all don’t need to be expensive btw).

Also, with overflows like the herbie or bean animal, you can make these things absolutely silent, so that helps too

World Wide Corals

hbubley

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 75 gallon with a HOB skimmer and filter.
I bought a canister but from everything I've read people tend to prefer HOB filtration or no filtration, as canister requires a lot of upkeep and is more difficult/inconvenient to clean.
My params are super stable with all HOB, but I do want a sump. Not gonna lie. It's frustrating having everything hanging on the back with water splashing the walls constantly.
Also if I want to add a refugium I'll have to look for a HOB option for that, so it just kinda limits what I can do.

OP
OP
JZ199

JZ199

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The more I think about it the more I feel like I should just stick to the original plan of going with the 125 gallon. Buy once cry once I suppose lol.

I like the thought of not having to do all the extra work and deal with the sump, but I'm also having flashbacks of how annoying it was dealing with the HOB skimmer and everything else without having the sump.

I think once I get everything purchased for it, up and running I will be happy with the decision. A lot of research in my future! Starting with finding a stand or someone to build a stand or at least help me with building one, along with researching sumps.
Also, with overflows like the herbie or bean animal, you can make these things absolutely silent, so that helps too
I'm a huge fan of the bean animal setups on the Innovative Marine tanks, so this will be something I definitely check into!

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Visit Detroit Reef Club
Back