6500k T5 bulb - pros and cons ?

Yanir34

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone, I'm using giesemann tropic 6500k T5 bulbs in my SPS reef. it's full spectrum bulb.
I would like to hear your experience with this bulb , or similar other full spectrum bulb.
what is your opinion on this type of bulb ?

bradreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
6500 will be very yellow. That is what we ran 20 years ago and colors like blue, or yellow scroll corals will look great. I think you could run one of those with like 3 or more blues to balance out.

OP
OP
Yanir34

Yanir34

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
6500 will be very yellow. That is what we ran 20 years ago and colors like blue, or yellow scroll corals will look great. I think you could run one of those with like 3 or more blues to balance out.
Right now my bulbs combination is :
6 blue plus
1 tropic 6500k
1 actinic
1 fiji purple
1 coral plus

paal

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my 8xT5 (39W) + 300W LED fixture I used to run 2x 6500k with 4x blue and 2x actinic.
Non-blue LEDs very low and overall LED power turned down, so no more than 100W total I'd say.

Really liked the look. From what I can remember, no major difference in growth when compared to any other combo I used to run.

Last edited:

paal

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found the old pictures. Already 5 years old (!) Time flies !

These were actually "giesemann midday 6000k" I got them cheap as they were discontinued bulbs even back in 2019, replaced by the "giesemann tropic, 6500k".

6000K_1.jpg

OP
OP
Yanir34

Yanir34

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found the old pictures. Already 5 years old (!) Time flies !

These were actually "giesemann midday 6000k" I got them cheap as they were discontinued bulbs even back in 2019, replaced by the "giesemann tropic, 6500k".

6000K_1.jpg

looks great!
are this Reefi LED's ?
did you run them a low power ?
also , how high did you hang the lights above the water surface ?

paal

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lamp is a Pacific Sun - Pandora Hyperion S.
I guess I've had it anywhere from 10-30cm above the water, depending on how much light spill the wife tolerates.

Quite funny that you asked, as literally 1 hour ago I received 3d printed parts to a "lamp shade" to avoid the spill. Fixture now hangs at about 25cm over the surface.

EDIT: Lamp has been running for 8 years.
No problems except the fans were a tad loud for my liking, so I replaced them with some custom ones running at low power/speed

Last edited:

spsick

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Giesemann tropic or GE 6500k are a great single bulb addition to boost intensity and growth. True blue and purple Acropora will really shine with one of these in the fixture.

OP
OP
Yanir34

Yanir34

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lamp is a Pacific Sun - Pandora Hyperion S.
I guess I've had it anywhere from 10-30cm above the water, depending on how much light spill the wife tolerates.

Quite funny that you asked, as literally 1 hour ago I received 3d printed parts to a "lamp shade" to avoid the spill. Fixture now hangs at about 25cm over the surface.

EDIT: Lamp has been running for 8 years.
No problems except the fans were a tad loud for my liking, so I replaced them with some custom ones running at low power/speed

Do you some pictures of the SPS with this lighting setup ?

paal

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found some oldies on google pics. (I should take a new one too I guess.) Most these corals are generic boring frags given to me by other reefers. I do not have anything fancy. They all thrive though, even to the point of spawning (see last pic)
The closest fish store is 2x6 hours drive away. Most are 2x 7-10. I used to order online, but always just got the "leftovers" on each shipment.

As of today, no stores in Norway will ship fish because of regulations. Really not a good place to be a reefer :|
Almost all the local reefers I know have quit already.

Anyway, enough crying. Some pics.

From August 2018:
August 2018.jpg

From April 2021:
2021 April.jpg

From August 2022:
August 2022.jpg

SPS Spawning:
ACRO.jpg

paal

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cannot tell exactly which bulbs were in the different pictures, but I typically aim for about the same overall color temperature "look". I just adjust the LED color depending on the T5 combo.

Pics looking different I think has more to do with the camera than the actual color.

OP
OP
Yanir34

Yanir34

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found some oldies on google pics. (I should take a new one too I guess.) Most these corals are generic boring frags given to me by other reefers. I do not have anything fancy. They all thrive though, even to the point of spawning (see last pic)
The closest fish store is 2x6 hours drive away. Most are 2x 7-10. I used to order online, but always just got the "leftovers" on each shipment.

As of today, no stores in Norway will ship fish because of regulations. Really not a good place to be a reefer :|
Almost all the local reefers I know have quit already.

Anyway, enough crying. Some pics.

From August 2018:
August 2018.jpg

From April 2021:
2021 April.jpg

From August 2022:
August 2022.jpg

SPS Spawning:
ACRO.jpg

wow that is nice pics !
and the fixture is almost touching the water

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m running an 8 bulb ATI with one GE 5600k bulb. Personally, I like it cuz it rounds out the spectrum more and gives a nice, clean natural look. I’m running 2 custom LED strips in the ATI, B+ and actinics, only one bulb is 5600k

alfieohalfie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
in 8 bulb fixture it means at least 3 bulbs of full spectrum , 3 blue bulbs , 1 purple a 1 actinic to my opinion
I was looking for something similar on my 4 bulb fixture. My bulbs were ready for a swap. So I ordered 2 blue plus and 2 aqua blue special. And it’s a very nice full spectrum that looks and feels very well balanced.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back