60B vs 40B DIY Sump Question

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys!

I'm planning on purchasing a new 150 gallon tank that's about 60" x 24" x 24", and I'm looking for a sump for this tank. I have a couple sumps now, including a brand new FijiCube sump, but I don't want to use any of these. I think I genuinely prefer DIY sumps made from aquariums. I think they are cheaper and offer more room, even if they lack some of the convenience features. And, I recently tried a 20L baffle kit from Marine Biosystems on eBay, which I thought was the best value for one of these kits, and I am pretty happy with it. I'm now looking to get another kit for this new tank in either a 40B or a 60B size.

I have been weighing the larger 60 gallon sump volume vs. the more space for other gear I'd have under the stand if I go with a 40 breeder. I decided that the larger water volume was more important, and so yesterday I picked up a 60B from PetCo during their 50% off sale.

However, once I got the 60 gallon home and looked at it, I realized that it has a center brace. I'm worried this center brace may make it difficult to get a skimmer or any other gear in the sump exactly where I want it to go. So while the 60 gallon would hold more water, it may not be as efficient if I have to work around that center brace.

I am now thinking about returning the 60B and getting a 40B for my sump. Even though it will smaller and hold less water, it doesn't have the center brace to work around, and I'd have more floor space left in the sump for things like calcium reactor if I go with one in the future. This is a tank I plan on having for a while, and I plan to start it with mostly softies, but I want to build the sump and stand only once, so I'm trying to plan for future upgrades or change of plans.

What would you guys do? Larger water volume and deal with the center brace, or smaller water volume, no center brace, and more room under the stand for other gear? I'm now leaning towards the 40B for my sump.

I'd appreciate any help or suggestions! Thanks in advance!

buruskeee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same size display and my sump holds about 30g (3/4 water line). Another 15-20g of water (10%) isn’t going to make a noticeable difference. Get whatever gives you most convenience and future needs with equipment.

Red_Beard

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can cut the bracing out if you silicon in glass baffles. Those baffles will more than make up for the lack of plastic trim.

OP
OP
Fish Fan

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same size display and my sump holds about 30g (3/4 water line). Another 15-20g of water (10%) isn’t going to make a noticeable difference. Get whatever gives you most convenience and future needs with equipment.
Thank you! I just know that typically more water is "better". I realize it's not much water either way, and I am concerned that I won't have enough room to add more equipment down the road.

I have a DIY sump that I made like 16 or 17 years ago with glass baffles and styled after a Marc Levinson Model F sump. The sump works great, but this tank has a center brace, and that's how I know it's a pain on a sump ;-)

I am really leaning towards the 40 breeder now....

OP
OP
Fish Fan

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can cut the bracing out if you silicon in glass baffles. Those baffles will more than make up for the lack of plastic trim.
I thought about that, especially considering the water level won't be near the top. But I'm still concerned that the 60 gallon would take up too much room under the tank.

buruskeee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More water is better when it makes a difference. 20g added to a 40g system is a lot. Making a 180g system turn into a 200g system is like comparing whether you should go 23g vs 25g total because it’s more water.

OP
OP
Fish Fan

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More water is better when it makes a difference. 20g added to a 40g system is a lot. Making a 180g system turn into a 200g system is like comparing whether you should go 23g vs 25g total because it’s more water.
You're right. I was trying to think of how much room inside the sump I'd need too, so I thought the 60 would be better.

Red_Beard

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought about that, especially considering the water level won't be near the top. But I'm still concerned that the 60 gallon would take up too much room under the tank.
That is a bird of a different color, it it is too big to fit properly. I am using a 40b right now, display is a 75, no complaints.

Totlxtc

2 wheeled Idiot
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 120g (60x18x25) with 60g sump using a DIY kit. No problems with the center brace. I just figured out where I wanted the equipment and placed dividers around it. The extra volume and room in the sump are nice.

buruskeee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're right. I was trying to think of how much room inside the sump I'd need too, so I thought the 60 would be better.
Just plan out what your end game equipment will be. If more will be in the sump than out, get the 60. If more will be outside than in the sump, get the 40. Whatever is most convenient to your plans is what you get, don’t worry about the water volume.

OP
OP
Fish Fan

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just plan out what your end game equipment will be. If more will be in the sump than out, get the 60. If more will be outside than in the sump, get the 40. Whatever is most convenient to your plans is what you get, don’t worry about the water volume.
That's my problem. I know what I want/need to get this tank going, but I want to leave room to expand if my plans change later.

I don't know, I've been back to thinking the 60 is best again lol! To be honest, I'm going to try to go without a skimmer but with a large refugium, and if that works then the center brace isn't a problem at all. And, with the 48" length I'm sure I could add a skimmer if I have to.

I will also have a fairly tall stand, and I'll have room bellow the sump for an ATO rez (or above with a gravity fed float switch). I now I can fit media recators, if needed. My biggest hang up is a calcium reactor. I've never run one before, but they really appeal to me. I'm trying to estimate how much floor space I would need for a reactor and the CO2 cylinder, but if I go with the 60 gallon sump I would still have a minimum of 12"x24" floor space under the tank, and I'm thinking that's enough for a calcium reactor setup. And again, a reactor like that is in the future, not immediate, but I want to leave my options open.

Thanks guys!

Devaji

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 120g (60x18x25) with 60g sump using a DIY kit. No problems with the center brace. I just figured out where I wanted the equipment and placed dividers around it. The extra volume and room in the sump are nice.
this is what I was thing too.

OP: also make sure you have the room you need for the dry stuff like controllers dosing pumps/jugs etc.

I done thing it will make or break your build either way.

OP
OP
Fish Fan

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this is what I was thing too.

OP: also make sure you have the room you need for the dry stuff like controllers dosing pumps/jugs etc.

I done thing it will make or break your build either way.
Thank you, I think I have decided to stick with the 60B. But I am trying to plan for and make sure I have room for the sump, plus ATO res., dosing containers, electronics, etc. I think I’m actually going to build out the stand a couple inches bigger than the tank all around, which will give me just that much more room for gear.

WvAquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a 120g 48x24. Put a 40 breeder bellow. The sump was perfect. But it literally filled under the stand. This made putting anything under the tank impossible. I would rather have some space for dry items and lose some water volume. You probably only lose 15 gallons max between the 2

OP
OP
Fish Fan

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a 120g 48x24. Put a 40 breeder bellow. The sump was perfect. But it literally filled under the stand. This made putting anything under the tank impossible. I would rather have some space for dry items and lose some water volume. You probably only lose 15 gallons max between the 2
Thanks! That’s exactly what I’m trying to avoid, but I still think I’m okay with the 60B

The foot print of my tank is 60”x24” (officially ordered this morning!)

The 60B’s footprint is 48”x18”.

And if I build the stand out just a little extra, which is how I want it to look, I think I’ll have space for everything.

And, I like my stands to sit a little higher than most store bought stands, so I believe I will have space above the sump to work with too.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back