50gal tank

austin_socal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone-
I am looking to upgrade from my 25gal lagoon to more of a 50 gallon long. I just have to convince my dad to let me lol. If you have a 50 gallon or something similar, how much did it cost you in gear?
TIA :)

TangerineSpeedo

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is such a loaded question... I guess the first thing you need to ask yourself is "what is going to be the end product of your tank, Maybe not now, but in 2-3 years? 50G's is on the borderline of sump vs AIO. Mixed reef, acros, lps? Equipment, new or used?
You can be frugal and do it for under $500 or thousands.
Sorry if this is not the answer you wanted.

Last edited:

eliaslikesfish

Kinda Addicted to Anemone’s and Clowns.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
all in one or sump? no matter your goals for the tank 1k+ to get everything up and running with maybe your first couple fish, that’s just how I would go though.

OP
OP
austin_socal

austin_socal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is such a loaded question... I guess the first thing you need to ask yourself is "what is going to be the end product of your tank, Maybe not now, but in 2-3 years? 50G's is on the borderline of sump vs AIO. Mixed reef, acros, lps? Equipment, new or used?
You can be frugal and do it for under $500 or thousands.
Sorry if this is not the answer you wanted.
Thanks bro, I get it was a hard question to answer. I’d love to go full LPS and definitely not the cheapest route for $500 but also not thousands lol. I am 14 so I don’t have quite that much to spend on gear right now.

Vinaka_vakalevu

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It all comes down to what you want to keep in your tank. Your stocking will dictate the equipment you need. From there, you can figure out the cost.

OP
OP
austin_socal

austin_socal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You go pick this tank up

woah, thank you. Only issue is that I’m not sure I have room for something that big but I’ll def check it out

TangerineSpeedo

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The truth of the matter is there is always deals on OfferUp, some not so much, some people are flakes. Just plan out your system as best as you can and then it is a waiting game for someone selling what you need. There is also a SOuthern CALIfornia REEFS forum that has great prices on gear.

OP
OP
austin_socal

austin_socal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The truth of the matter is there is always deals on OfferUp, some not so much, some people are flakes. Just plan out your system as best as you can and then it is a waiting game for someone selling what you need. There is also a SOuthern CALIfornia REEFS forum that has great prices on gear.
Awesome- thank you bro

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back