Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
as always, i continue to scour the web for deals on zoas to share with the club. i found a local dealer that has aquacultured PPE's for sale. i think he only had about 6 frags left. 5 polyp ppes' for $79.00. great deal. he also has sweet cat's eyes 10 polyp frags for $39.00. check him out at www.aquacon.com. i will continue my quest to find great zoas at reasonable prices for us. brian t.

Nutramar Foods
Top Shelf Aquatics

coralfarm123

INDMAS Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do not buy from him. He is a thief. He is using my picture without permission. The colony in the corner is an old pic of mine. I have emailed him and left several messages for him to remove the picture from his page and he has not responded. I highly doubt this guy even has any real PPE.

Check out the vendor section of RC and steer clear of this guy.

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do not buy from him. He is a thief. He is using my picture without permission. The colony in the corner is an old pic of mine. I have emailed him and left several messages for him to remove the picture from his page and he has not responded. I highly doubt this guy even has any real PPE.

Check out the vendor section of RC and steer clear of this guy.

thanks for the heads up for sure... I was like that's one sweet colony..

do you still have it? or a good pic of it? I would love to see a pic.. :)

Top Shelf Aquatics

coralfarm123

INDMAS Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are some older pics, but the not the greatest clarity. I haven't taken pics with my new camera yet. I think these photos range from about 12-18 months ago or so.

First pic is the one he used without permission.
ppem.jpg

100_1010.jpg

851ba738.jpg

Last edited:

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are some older pics, but the not the greatest clarity. I haven't taken pics with my new camera yet. I think these photos range from about 12-18 months ago or so.

First pic is the one he used without permission.
ppem.jpg

ouch! what a collection... :)

hope mine will get like this in a year.. :lol:

only if they would grow faster... faster... faster.. zoom! zoom! zoom!

anyway, do you still have the colony? how long did it take you to get them to that size?

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar

coralfarm123

INDMAS Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Marvin,

I see no reason why yours should be this big or even larger in a year or less. I have seen your tank and all appears to be very well kept.

I have been growing them for a little over two years now. Since the photo they have more than tripled in size. I harvest about 15-20 polyps every few months and always leave the colony with more than what I had the previous fragging. This way the colony is constantly getting larger. I do this with pretty much all of my colonies. A few polyps should easily grow into a 30+ polyp colony in year or less under optimal conditions. I have found they grow best when left alone and not moved around or fragged very often. Although, I must say it is very hard to fight the temptation.

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Marvin,

I see no reason why yours should be this big or even larger in a year or less. I have seen your tank and all appears to be very well kept.

I have been growing them for a little over two years now. Since the photo they have more than tripled in size. I harvest about 15-20 polyps every few months and always leave the colony with more than what I had the previous fragging. This way the colony is constantly getting larger. I do this with pretty much all of my colonies. A few polyps should easily grow into a 30+ polyp colony in year or less under optimal conditions. I have found they grow best when left alone and not moved around or fragged very often. Although, I must say it is very hard to fight the temptation.

I'm looking forward to seeing a nice colony in my tank.. my main colony is close to 20.. I thought it will be 20 by end of the month but I had couple of polyps just shrink and seems to be withering away.. have you experience this in your colony? another guy here in MI has had two nice colonies but have experienced die offs atleast each year I think.. if I remember correctly, he lost about 15-20 polyps last year alone.. :(

I'll have a pic up last night of what the withering polyps look like.. I'm hoping that they will come back though..

coralfarm123

INDMAS Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most PE type paly die offs I have seen occur when amphipods are not getting enough food so they generally attack this type of polyp first. They must taste the best I guess. You will notice one or two lashes missing, followed by all of them missing or the polyp closing up. Sometimes you will also see what looks to be the polyp forming another head on top of the polyp. Then, either the polyp heals or decays. The best thing is to have some type of natural control to keep the pods in check. Reef safe wrasses tend to be the best hunters.

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most PE type paly die offs I have seen occur when amphipods are not getting enough food so they generally attack this type of polyp first. They must taste the best I guess. You will notice one or two lashes missing, followed by all of them missing or the polyp closing up. Sometimes you will also see what looks to be the polyp forming another head on top of the polyp. Then, either the polyp heals or decays. The best thing is to have some type of natural control to keep the pods in check. Reef safe wrasses tend to be the best hunters.

I have a pair of Golden Rhomboids in there and a Hooder fairy wrasse so I hope they're doing their job.. :)

I'm hoping for the best...

Corals.com

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Your Reef
Back