Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As someone who has used this forum for over 4 years now and is no longer exactly new to the hobby, I felt as thought it’s high time that I create a build thread. I first started in the hobby with a 10 gallon and two clownfish eventually moving to an ego so I could have a cheap light that supported a nem. All this was happening over the course of my time in college, and during Covid I moved the tank back home to where I would be continuing to study for an unforeseen amount of time. That ended up being about a year and I upgraded to a 40 breeder so that I would have more room for coral and could get bigger fish. Admittedly the tank was overstocked, and I was unable to keep up with maintenance when I had to return to school without the tank (4 hour drive)
Over the course of about a year, my breeder has received close to 20% water changes every third week.my dad was feeding and monitoring equipment on the day to day (with experience as a freshwater breeder). Hands down I could not have asked for someone who has no saltwater or reef tank experience to perform better and notify me when something was off. That being said there were unnoticed cleanup crew or fish deaths and the tank got covered in bryopsis. I eventually treated with reef flux after some illinformed herbivore purchased and it is not gone but has mostly been depleted. The tank has come back to thriving and looks great now. Although it is again time to upgrade. My breeder has sprung a leak quite high in the left corner of the front and left side panes. I am taking this as my sign to upgrade. I will be using an old tempered glass 75 to move my livestock into and I plan on doing so in relatively close to a week. The tank has already been filled and mixed over the last day and a half and I have currently put substrate in. For reference I have attached a photo of my breeder before the leak!

EAEEA489-4EE5-4F18-AC98-D7AD50431AF5.jpeg

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
M

Mi1kyman

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As someone who has used this forum for over 4 years now and is no longer exactly new to the hobby, I felt as thought it’s high time that I create a build thread. I first started in the hobby with a 10 gallon and two clownfish eventually moving to an ego so I could have a cheap light that supported a nem. All this was happening over the course of my time in college, and during Covid I moved the tank back home to where I would be continuing to study for an unforeseen amount of time. That ended up being about a year and I upgraded to a 40 breeder so that I would have more room for coral and could get bigger fish. Admittedly the tank was overstocked, and I was unable to keep up with maintenance when I had to return to school without the tank (4 hour drive)
Over the course of about a year, my breeder has received close to 20% water changes every third week.my dad was feeding and monitoring equipment on the day to day (with experience as a freshwater breeder). Hands down I could not have asked for someone who has no saltwater or reef tank experience to perform better and notify me when something was off. That being said there were unnoticed cleanup crew or fish deaths and the tank got covered in bryopsis. I eventually treated with reef flux after some illinformed herbivore purchased and it is not gone but has mostly been depleted. The tank has come back to thriving and looks great now. Although it is again time to upgrade. My breeder has sprung a leak quite high in the left corner of the front and left side panes. I am taking this as my sign to upgrade. I will be using an old tempered glass 75 to move my livestock into and I plan on doing so in relatively close to a week. The tank has already been filled and mixed over the last day and a half and I have currently put substrate in. For reference I have attached a photo of my breeder before the leak!

View attachment 2944261
It is stocked with two clowns, a six line, a lawnmower blenny, and a slightly smaller than half dollar sized baby yellow tang! Along with various hermits and snails

OP
OP
M

Mi1kyman

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is stocked with two clowns, a six line, a lawnmower blenny, and a slightly smaller than half dollar sized baby yellow tang! Along with various hermits and snails
All livestock has made it into the 75 and I’ll be running the tank lights off today.
I hope to have my lights up and running tomorrow!

Avast
OP
OP
M

Mi1kyman

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While digging through the old sand bed, I found a few things that would be helpful to have identified! I found an orange fungi like growth on a goni frag that somehow managed to survive and then I think I have some sort of yellow spiderweb like texture growing on a rock I tried to keep a toadstool frag on! Pictures attached (they look orange and bright yellow to the eye)
They may be some type of sponges but I would love to know!

Avast
www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
M

Mi1kyman

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Merry Christmas! The lights are officially up and everything is running well. Although I am running two different lights for now lol

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    177.1 KB · Views: 28
OP
OP
M

Mi1kyman

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the growth on the Goni frag, it seems as if there is something peaking out from the growth, I would not have noticed if one of the fish didn’t swim right overtop and make it move! Any ideas?!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 20

shakacuz

5000 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the growth on the Goni frag, it seems as if there is something peaking out from the growth, I would not have noticed if one of the fish didn’t swim right overtop and make it move! Any ideas?!
vermetid snail, i believe

BRS
OP
OP
M

Mi1kyman

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any idea what my (orange) clown may be experiencing?! Just got home after working away from home the past two days, first time noticing it.

Attachments

• 1C5959F2-3EDB-461F-B053-9E2E3FEEFF3F.jpeg
    1C5959F2-3EDB-461F-B053-9E2E3FEEFF3F.jpeg
    178 KB · Views: 13
  • 62A61172-4E14-4FC1-8C8F-29BD2B1EBB97.jpeg
    62A61172-4E14-4FC1-8C8F-29BD2B1EBB97.jpeg
    172.8 KB · Views: 14
BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Back