Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After a long absence from this hobby I decided to come back. This time with I’m going to try to keep it simple with a 40 breeder and no sump. Previously I had a 75 with a sump.

Anyway here’s some shots of the cabinet I built using plain old 2x4’s and wrapping it with paneling from Menards

I used a Kreg jig and some wood screws to build the frame and a little bit of glue and brad nails to attach the paneling.

The doors are poplar 1x4’s that I ripped into 1x3’s and then mitered and glued together. I routered inside the back of the doors so the panels would set flush inside them.

The drawers are 1/2” plywood. I used rabbet joints on the drawer corners and used glue and brad nails to put the drawers together.

The trim was from Menards also and was painted with white primer. I used my sander to give it a distressed look and then sprayed clear coat on it.

My wife chose the paneling and trim to match the rest of the furniture in the living room.

I wanted a trucker mud flap girl theme but nooooo….

Anyway it was pretty easy and turned out alright I think.
3721576B-0CA5-4069-A452-DDA4CBF0E5DD.jpeg
E53CCDF6-87B3-4190-B474-DDA78D0B4AD2.jpeg
33EF80B9-CC02-4F2D-A5B4-D38986906C7E.jpeg
8AB8E539-65E9-46B7-8FF4-73105F3BE1A1.jpeg
8F5761B1-05C3-4004-B8B6-D0610BBC200E.jpeg

Top Shelf Aquatics

Idech

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks nice but I would think you will hate those drawers after a while. Make sure it’s easy to take them out easily.

You’re going yo have lots of equipment with cables in this cabinet and I can’t imagine how it’s doable in a drawer.

You also need a bucket for your ATO. The most practical is having it in the cabinet. So one side should not even have a shelf.

World Wide Corals
OP
OP
Thumbster

Thumbster

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey thanks.

It’s a regular 40 breeder Aqueon. I have 5% window tint on the back. It hides the HOB filter fairly well.

My plan this go around was to keep it simple. I’m going to use a HOB filter, a couple power heads,
and a protein skimmer only if I absolutely have to.

I am going to have a couple clown fish, zoa’s, star polyps and other relatively easy to keep corals. Right now I have two Fluval Marine 3.0’s for lights. They should be able to handle the corals fairly well and I like their app. The colors are decent also, I’ve seen way worse.

On the back I made a small shelf where my power strip sets and it hides all the wires. My ATO is going to be me and a jug of water lol.

I had no plans for a sump on this tank. I debated drilling the bottom for about thirty seconds but then remembered how much I hated not having any storage in the cabinet on my 75 because it was filled with a sump and all the other equipment. I went the complete opposite direction with this.

I used ball bearing drawers slides and they move pretty easily.

AquaCave

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Reef Chasers Aquaculture
Back