4 instruments 4 different salinity readings...What is my actual salinity?

SaltwaterScoop

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I purchased Hanna's new HI981520 Hanna Marine Monitor pH, Marine Salinity, Temperature and it initially read really low salinity on my tank so I panicked because the difference between it's reading and my refractometer's reading was significant. My refractometer was old so I decided to buy a few instruments to test my salinity to see what it actually is (got a new BRS refractometer too).

Here are the results:

1. HI981520 Hanna Marine Monitor pH, Marine Salinity, Temperature - Calibrated with Hanna 35 ppt calibration fluid at 77 degrees Fahrenheit
Listed Accuracy = ±1.0 ppt between 0.0 ppt and 40.0 ppt
Reading = 34.4 PPT at 77 degrees Fahrenheit
1677196948335.png

2. Glass High Precision Hydrometer
Listed Accuracy = .001 sg
Reading = 1.0266 sg / 35.3 PPT at 77 degrees Fahrenheit
1677196975958.png

3. BRS Refractometer with LED light - Calibrated with their 35 PPT Refracto Juice at 77 degrees Fahrenheit
Listed Accuracy = ???
Reading = 1.0279 / 37 PPT sg at 77 degrees Fahrenheit after 45 seconds
1677197319076.png

4. Plastic Coralife Refractometer from Amazon (seasoned for 24+ hours in tank water before reading)
Listed Accuracy = +.001 sg
Reading = 1.0286 / 38 PPT sg at 77 degrees Fahrenheit
1677197338188.png

Which one should I trust?

Avast

taricha

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love a good swing arm hydrometer, very repeatable. But the actual numbers on the scale are usually pretty off. You have to make your own known specific gravity solution and calibrate it. I don't know about the tiny glass hydrometer.
But I would trust the two instruments that you actually use a calibration fluid with.
You can mix up a known specific gravity solution, and mark it with the two hydrometers, then you could know how they are performing. But without that I would not trust them.

AS
OP
OP
SaltwaterScoop

SaltwaterScoop

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I love a good swing arm hydrometer, very repeatable. But the actual numbers on the scale are usually pretty off. You have to make your own known specific gravity solution and calibrate it. I don't know about the tiny glass hydrometer.
But I would trust the two instruments that you actually use a calibration fluid with.
You can mix up a known specific gravity solution, and mark it with the two hydrometers, then you could know how they are performing. But without that I would not trust them.
I had never seen the glass hydrometers but they are supposed to be high precision. It was way bigger than I expected and incredibly delicate.
PXL_20230223_215538221.jpg

#1 and #2 agree with each other, within published uncertainties. I'd trust #2.
This is what I was leaning towards as well.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd check all of them, including the glass hydrometer, in a known standard (DIY or high end commercial) designed for each device, if I wanted to have confidence in them.

That said, I expect the salinity is most likely 35-36 ppt, and is fine. :)

Corals.com

Dennis Cartier

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would trust #2, the TM High Precision hydrometer. It is what I use as my standard. It requires no calibration and should always be accurate as long as the water is 25C / 77F. To be confidant in it's reading, buying a second one to compare to and / or mixing up some of Randy's Calibration Fluid to verify against is a good idea. A tall cylinder for measuring outside of the tank, both to protect the delicate instrument, and to make it easier to read, is also a good idea.

chipmunkofdoom2

Always Making Something
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
34.4 and 35.3 are very close. I'd trust either #1 or #2.

This is just my opinion, but it's unfortunate that the hobby has coalesced around refractive index as the default method to measure salinity. I've never had a refractometer that wasn't a hassle to use or keep calibrated. In my experience, drop-in measuring tools like the hydrometer above or conductivity meters are not much more expensive than quality refractometers and give much more reliable readings.

World Wide Corals

srobertb

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
34.4 and 35.3 are very close. I'd trust either #1 or #2.

This is just my opinion, but it's unfortunate that the hobby has coalesced around refractive index as the default method to measure salinity. I've never had a refractometer that wasn't a hassle to use or keep calibrated. In my experience, drop-in measuring tools like the hydrometer above or conductivity meters are not much more expensive than quality refractometers and give much more reliable readings.
Agree. I think it’s a great tool for making sure salinity stays stable, to watch for numbers creeping up and down, and to make sure new saltwater is in the ballpark but trying to get and hold a perfect 35 feels like a fools errand.

MinnieMouse2

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the swing arm hydrometer and double check it after the water change with the Tropic Marin Glass High Precision Hydrometer. I totally gave up using refractometers ( garbage that do not stay callibrated) and the Hanna is expensive and they do break down. The only one I really trust is the glass high precision hydrometers and buy a good one. There are cheap models around, just say no. They use these glass hydrometers in the medical industry, so that got to be good. I think they use it for kidney dialysis treatments. My swing arm works well, usually after I double-check it is right on. You get use to using them and where you need to be.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
UNLEASH THE FULL POTENTIAL OF YOUR REEF
Back