Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I believed happened was that a few weeks ago before I realized it was low, my Alk kept dropping from the 7.5 range I normally keep it to about 6.8, presumably because it was sucking out the very last drops of fluid. Like an idiot, I then increased the default output to try and mitigate that issue. Well sure enough, once primed with new fluid, the Alk exploded- 6.9 to 11.7 in a matter of hours. Just ran a second Alk test and got 11.0 this morning, so at least I know it's hit its peak (was worried it would come back even worse since the last test was at 1 am.

The tank has been set up for a year and a half and I have SPS, LPS, Clams, etc. I'm kind of at a loss as to what to do, if anything. I cut off the default Alk to 1 ml per day (lowest it would go) to try and not double down on the issue, at the very least. But is this even a good idea, then? I know the Alk levels won't lurch down as quickly as they went up but idk if I should still have some calc coming in Looking over the tank today I don't see any signs of any kind of necrosis, which I guess is good, but we're still only 8 or so hours into the alk overdose. Both clams are open and seemingly doing ok for now. No shrimp or anything and only crabs are a few hermits.

Is there anything I should do? I'd fear a huge WC might get the DKH down to some degree, but would a potential lurch back be a good outcome as opposed to just trying to stabilize things? I dealt with these a bit a year ago or so, but I didn't have such a packed tank at the time, much less one with a decent amount of higher end stuff either. Just baffled at how I've managed to do this, any and all thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
AS

bradreef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do the corals look? Polyp extension? I would say dont do anything drastic unless the corals show signs of stress. Back in the day many successful sps tanks ran alk over 10dkh. I would say to very slowly bring it down. The corals/ clams are probably used to the higher alk. Shouldnt be sn issue unless you rapidly change things

OP
OP
C

cdw79

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Completely unaffected as far as I can tell. Lights are off but SPS of all types still look the same as they have. Torches, hammers, etc. are unbothered. I don't know if it's because it's still too early to tell (early on I had a chalice slowly disintegrate on me over a few weeks after a big swing when I still was a little less clued into the workings of the apex) but no observable changes this morning

AS

under.water.ninja

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have enough corals to consume the alk then just wait a few days for it to slowly drop back down and then start dosing again. Do a water change if you want to get it down quicker. It’s really not that big of a deal! Your be really surprised what corals can handle

under.water.ninja

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I make a mistake with alk I fix it right away, doesn’t matter how big the swing is. If it drops from 8.5 to 6.0 because a dosing bin didn’t get filled in time, I add enough talk to bring it back up in one shot. Corals can handle it. If it has slowly slowly been going down, the raise it back up slowly or vice versa

bradreef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AS
OP
OP
C

cdw79

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will 100% advise to go slow bringing it down. 1dkh per day.
Nothing good happens fast in a reef tank.
Would me just cutting it off from Alk be a good approach to follow this? Or would that be too steep of a decline, would you say?

Avast

Dburr1014

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@bradreef I'm not concerned at the fact it's at 11 dkh, I'm concerned about the speed and size of the swing to get there. I kept my tank there at one point too. I'm just concerned about the shock associate with such a large and rapid swing
I have gone from 8 to 12, lost nothing bringing it down 3 dkh in 3 days

OP
OP
C

cdw79

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have gone from 8 to 12, lost nothing bringing it down 3 dkh in 3 days
That gives me some hope, I couldn't find any threads on a swing like this. Hopefully I've dodged a bullet here. Sounds like the best approach, like most things, is to not over-worry and go slowly. Who'd have thought!

under.water.ninja

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That gives me some hope, I couldn't find any threads on a swing like this. Hopefully I've dodged a bullet here. Sounds like the best approach, like most things, is to not over-worry and go slowly. Who'd have thought!
You are fine! Watch the latest rappin with reefbum with Dang Zoux, I just butchered his name lol, but it’s very informative on all swings and many other things

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Top Shelf Aquatics
Back