3ppm Nitrates okay to avoid Dinoflagellates?

RaymondL

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My phosphate levels are hovering just below 0.07ppm and I'm having to dose Nitrates as it was 1.0ppm, and I was advised to bring that value up to 5ppm to avoid Dinoflagellates. I can't find anywhere that explains why a low phosphate and nitrate concentration causes Dinos, and what is the minimum safe value of both Phosphates and Nitrates one should strive for to avoid this nuisance.

Welcome any thoughts.

World Wide Corals

beesnreefs

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it's because dinos are opportunistic. When there is measurable nutrients the bacteria that consume those nutrients are able to outcompete the dinos. Remove the bacteria food and the dinos go bonkers.

I could be wrong here (hopefully someone will correct me if I am so I don't misinform) but that's how I understand it

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Uncle99

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My phosphate levels are hovering just below 0.07ppm and I'm having to dose Nitrates as it was 1.0ppm, and I was advised to bring that value up to 5ppm to avoid Dinoflagellates. I can't find anywhere that explains why a low phosphate and nitrate concentration causes Dinos, and what is the minimum safe value of both Phosphates and Nitrates one should strive for to avoid this nuisance.

Welcome any thoughts.
That number is just fine.
If it runs stable at that number, no changes.

crazereef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it's because dinos are opportunistic. When there is measurable nutrients the bacteria that consume those nutrients are able to outcompete the dinos. Remove the bacteria food and the dinos go bonkers.

I could be wrong here (hopefully someone will correct me if I am so I don't misinform) but that's how I understand it
This is a solid explanation, they are opportunistic. Sometimes even with raising nitrates they are hard to eradicate. A high wattage UV will help.

OP
OP
R

RaymondL

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks for the explanation. Just so I understand it, so we're having to make sure Nitrates are adequate, so to feed the certain type of bacteria that are needed to outnumber the dinos?

Top Shelf Aquatics

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

JASON FOX SIGNATURE CORALS
Back