Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally upgrading lights for my 40 breeder and wondering which of the following options I should choose:
A) 2x - Kessil 360we Tuna Blue
B) 2x - Ecotech Radion XR15 G4 Pro
C) 2x - AI Hydra 26 HD
I know they're all great lights, but I'm very indecisive ;)

Homelander

I'm Homelander, I can do whatever I want.
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pair of the Kessil A360WE's over mine and I love them. The only problem (to other people, I love their simplicity) is that you have very limited control ability. You can adjust the color from blue to white and the intensity. That's it. And if you want to do any kind of programming you have to use an external controller. I use the Bluefish LED controller. It allows me to do morning ramp, nighttime ramp, cloud cover, and thunderstorms and does weather simulation for any location in the world that you choose and can be controlled from anywhere in the world. Kessil also makes their own controller, but all you can do with that is ramp up and ramp down. No special features.
The Radions can be controlled through an external controller or via the Ecotech Reef Link. And you can control each individual color as you please. In recent years these have become the gold standard for LED reef lighting with Kessil right behind them. And they do cloud cover and storms. The Liveaquaria facility in Rhinelander WI uses all Ecotech Radions over their frag tanks (They used Kessils prior) Mainly because of the Reef Link control ability.
The AI Hydra 26's are the only light (on your list) that come with built in control ability via WiFi App without an external controller. And are individual color controlled and can do cloud cover and storms as well.

I agree with you that all three lights are amazing. IMO its mostly a control ability preference.

OP
OP
Mike N

Mike N

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pair of the Kessil A360WE's over mine and I love them. The only problem (to other people, I love their simplicity) is that you have very limited control ability. You can adjust the color from blue to white and the intensity. That's it. And if you want to do any kind of programming you have to use an external controller. I use the Bluefish LED controller. It allows me to do morning ramp, nighttime ramp, cloud cover, and thunderstorms and does weather simulation for any location in the world that you choose and can be controlled from anywhere in the world. Kessil also makes their own controller, but all you can do with that is ramp up and ramp down. No special features.
The Radions can be controlled through an external controller or via the Ecotech Reef Link. And you can control each individual color as you please. In recent years these have become the gold standard for LED reef lighting with Kessil right behind them. And they do cloud cover and storms. The Liveaquaria facility in Rhinelander WI uses all Ecotech Radions over their frag tanks (They used Kessils prior) Mainly because of the Reef Link control ability.
The AI Hydra 26's are the only light (on your list) that come with built in control ability via WiFi App without an external controller. And are individual color controlled and can do cloud cover and storms as well.

I agree with you that all three lights are amazing. IMO its mostly a control ability preference.
Thanks for the information. That does help a lot.
I've got the money to spend, so why not spend it on the gold standard? Trigger pulled on the Radions.

Corals.com

Homelander

I'm Homelander, I can do whatever I want.
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the information. That does help a lot.
I've got the money to spend, so why not spend it on the gold standard? Trigger pulled on the Radions.
If you get the Radions, make sure to grab a Reeflink right away as well so you can control them from your phone. Unless you have an Apex with the WXM module.

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
Mike N

Mike N

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hydras are great. plug and play(control with app). So easy, so much control and are cheaper then the radions. Radions are great though, just $$.
I do like the fact you dont need additional equipment to control the Hydras. However, I did see quite a few people complaining about the wifi dropping out intermittently.
At only $50 difference I figured I might as well go with the Radions.

Wendy Eaton

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do like the fact you dont need additional equipment to control the Hydras. However, I did see quite a few people complaining about the wifi dropping out intermittently.
At only $50 difference I figured I might as well go with the Radions.
Did you end up going with the radions? If so, do you have to have a reeflink to program weather effects? I agree with you, $50 more per light is a small price to pay to not have to worry about the connection dropping all of the time.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Deltec
Back