View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

Third tank, first build thread
Not sure how diligent I’ll be with this thread, but there’s only one way to find out I guess.

TLDR: A nano build using (mostly) parts I had lying around, just to see what happens.

As the name of the thread suggests this build is (so far) made up of parts I had lying around and the idea is to try and build a simple and low cost office nano. Inspiration (at least in part) came from a Reefbuilders video Jake did a while ago that uses the same type of tank I’m using here. Plans for stocking consist of soft/leather corals (mainly due to the lighting) and if all goes well a single tank bred yellow clown goby.

The kit list so far:

Dennerle scaper’s tank 35l
Tunze nano cleaner 3165 (floss/matrix)
Generic 100w heater
AliExpress led light (similar to/same as the stock deskmate light)
Cured rock from the sump of my main tank
Leftover dry sand from a previous tank

An ATO solution (one of those tank mounts for a soda bottle) will be the first new buy for this tank, probably in the same shipment as the corals. Manual top off till then.

Mixed up water yesterday (AF Hybrid Pro) and filled the tank, lets see what happens .

Forgot to take pictures yesterday, this morning I woke up to what I assume is a bacterial bloom (light is on for the picture only):

IMG_7092.jpeg

Will just let it sit and do it’s thing for now.

OP
OP
Dextar

Dextar

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After a couple of hours of working next to the tank, I'm already thinking of either swapping out the pump of the filter or the entire filter unit.

The current ( stock Tunze Silent) pump is turning out not silent enough for me, or the entire filter itself is just a bit too noisy due to vibration/resonance.

OP
OP
Dextar

Dextar

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Swapped the Tunze for an internal filter I had lying around. Doesn’t hold as much media, but I think it should still be enough. No more noise and a little higher flow (200 vs 150lph).
Also added a tiny 200lph exo terra waterfall pump for some additional flow.

The bloom cleared up very nicely over the weekend.

IMG_7105.jpeg

IMG_7104.jpeg

Top Shelf Aquatics

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Tropic Marin USA
Back