32 Biocube to 110.4 Waterbox

HansonsReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greetings everyone!

We currently have our 3yr old 32 Biocube in our bedroom, my wife has finally come to our senses to how beautiful it would be to have a tank in our family area. So I made up a accent wall and decided on the Waterbox 110.4 w/ white cabinet.

My questions are as follows.
Im planning to use current rock in my 32, there’s 4 boulders with Pulsing xenia, mushrooms, green star polyps. Nothing crazy. But also plan on doing some aquascaping, how should I incorporate the current rock into the new tank? Leave it as its own rock and build around it? The rocks are just covered with above as seen in the picture.

The biggest question, how should I do this transfer from 32 to 110.4 once I have all the components(lights,pumps,etc)? Use the water in my current 32, perhaps save some of the water when doing water changes for the new tank along with new saltwater (50/50 mix)?

Ill continue to do research as this progresses, but I thought just posting my concerns would be helpful as well.

Thank you!!!

20240206_191040.jpg 20241005_171419.jpg 20241006_222317.jpg

Reef_at_Sea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The live rock (and sand and maybe bioblocks?) in your current tank is what keeps your current bio load "alive"
You can setup the new tank almost complete with newly made salt water and move everything towards that new tank.
I have seen reefers moving the live rock from their former tank towards the sump and starting the display with all new dead rock, the good bacteria still remains in your system :)

Just take a note for yourself that if you add more rock, it should either be VERY FRESH live rock or dead rock, because die off on older live rock could give an ammonia spike.
And if you are planning to add more live stock later on, first give your new tank the time to multiply more bacteria to support that new bioload.
Your corals will be fine, i don't see any problems happening.

Hope this helps a little bit ,goodluck :)

OP
OP
HansonsReef

HansonsReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The live rock (and sand and maybe bioblocks?) in your current tank is what keeps your current bio load "alive"
You can setup the new tank almost complete with newly made salt water and move everything towards that new tank.
I have seen reefers moving the live rock from their former tank towards the sump and starting the display with all new dead rock, the good bacteria still remains in your system :)

Just take a note for yourself that if you add more rock, it should either be VERY FRESH live rock or dead rock, because die off on older live rock could give an ammonia spike.
And if you are planning to add more live stock later on, first give your new tank the time to multiply more bacteria to support that new bioload.
Your corals will be fine, i don't see any problems happening.

Hope this helps a little bit ,goodluck :)

Thank you so much for that response and confirming what I found researching for a few hours. When it comes to the sand in my current tank, I don't siphon it when I do my water changes. When I transfer it and combine it with new sand, will that spike ammonia or anthing? Or just start with new sand across the board?

Also, I decided to go with the Innovative Marine EXT 100... should be here next week!

Thanks!!

Reef_at_Sea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much for that response and confirming what I found researching for a few hours. When it comes to the sand in my current tank, I don't siphon it when I do my water changes. When I transfer it and combine it with new sand, will that spike ammonia or anthing? Or just start with new sand across the board?

Also, I decided to go with the Innovative Marine EXT 100... should be here next week!

Thanks!!
I would look towards new sand without bacteria so you don’t take any risk.
You could start adding bio blocks to your current tank allready, bacteria will start growing on those bio blocks and you can move them later to the new sump. More bacteria, yay!

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HAVE YOU EVER KEPT A RARE/UNCOMMON FISH, CORAL, OR INVERT? SHOW IT OFF IN THE THREAD!

• Yes!

Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 3 4.3%
Back