32.5 Modified Fluval Upgrade - Bigger is Better?

saltylilthang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After having so many run-in's with my little 13.5 nano saltwater and wanting to downsize my aquarium collections overall, I decided to upgrade my saltwater tank and downgrade my very disgusting freshwater tank that had a huge algea issue. After giving away the plants, decor, and just one betta (as all other fish were transfered to another tank) I decided that the filter system fluval has set up in their tanks SUCK if you need super nice filktration! We all know how needy saltwater is so I needed something way better. So out the window the old one went!
85f44fa5-c402-49f7-a9bd-80334cf2b905.jpg

I didn't mind gutting this tank as I got it for an amazing deal with the cabinet for $200 (no leaks/no cracks/only 2 years old I promise my floors will be okay and I have used it for 6 months with no leaks ;) ). Down the line, I will upgrade the top to be a clear acrylic and of course another AI Prime will be purchased and set up. Most of what is in the nano will be moved over such as the AI Prime, the UV Sterilizer,rocks, sand, and of course my clowns, snails and sexy shrimp~! I have a top off system and will have to figure out a soluton for a smaller holding tub so I can stick it in the stand. I hope that in 2025 I can add more fish and finally restock the blue hermit crab colony. And of course, get more coral.I had a recent death wtih several and I think bigger will help me keep consistent numbers.
f283f38f-5b60-4eba-84ff-584ca7dc8ba7.jpg

Now first thing first is the filter! I decided canister is the way to go. I did my research on my end and yes, canister filters are fine but I will have to change up the filter media so it works with my tank. A sump system is still scary to a newbie like me so this is my big girl next step.

I find chemipure elite works well and I plan to add LOADS biological media. I will keep the original 2 filter pads in the canister (top and bottom) and clean those out as needed but also change them out periodocally. In the middle I will have chemipire and biologicaal media. I decided to go with OASE Indoor Aquatics Biomaster Thermo 350 as someone recommended on here and I took my chances even if it was way out of my budget. Anything for my salty little fish. I wanted an integrated heater in my filter as I hate the clutter of it all in the tank. Of course, living in a warm climate helps keep the water warm. If winter brings cold fronts, I do not mind sticking an extra heater into the tank. I will make some sacrifices a few months out of the year.

SIDENOTE: I also use OASE skimmer for my nano freshwater and that little gadget catches EVERYTHING.

I will already have to place the UV Sterilizer in tHe back area and use my rock scape to hide it all. This filter, although best with tanks up to 90 gallons, will be pushing out 300GPH so the hope it I do not have to add future wave makers :face-in-clouds: I HOPE.
bec2a5d8-1593-4c0b-8def-228c69926bf9.jpg

I am still figuring out placement but the spray nozzle and intake nozzle placement makes me content. Of course, that ugly canister will be hidden.

For now, this is all I have! I am hoping to get some rocks and sand this coming weeks and starting the slow cycling process. I will be using the OG lid to keep condensation down for the first few months of having nothing in this tank but I will be getting a custom lid down the line. Hope everyone can keep up with my journey. I love this hobby and pumped to get it going again!

IceNein

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following along. I'll be interested in seeing what your opinion of the canister filter is one year from now. Lots of people say it's the dumbest thing you can ever do, lots of people say it's fine. I always thought it seemed like it would be fine as long as you keep up on your maintenance.

OP
OP
saltylilthang

saltylilthang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following along. I'll be interested in seeing what your opinion of the canister filter is one year from now. Lots of people say it's the dumbest thing you can ever do, lots of people say it's fine. I always thought it seemed like it would be fine as long as you keep up on your maintenance.
I have a weekly to biweekly maintenance schedule and. I think as long as you don't let the system gunk up, it should be fine. If the freshwater hobby is able to use it, saltwater should be able to as well. Heck, if the simple filtration settup on my nano works (just filter pads, chemipure, and biomedia) I feel a canister is WAY better. I think a lot of long term hobbiest find the maintenance annoying in the long run and I have seen videos and mentions of people not cleaning canisters for up to a year. The most I would wait is 2 weeks.

Of course, maybe my mindset will change in a year! I hope not because the dang filter was expensive :eek:

kramnotsgnal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After having so many run-in's with my little 13.5 nano saltwater and wanting to downsize my aquarium collections overall, I decided to upgrade my saltwater tank and downgrade my very disgusting freshwater tank that had a huge algea issue. After giving away the plants, decor, and just one betta (as all other fish were transfered to another tank) I decided that the filter system fluval has set up in their tanks SUCK if you need super nice filktration! We all know how needy saltwater is so I needed something way better. So out the window the old one went!

I didn't mind gutting this tank as I got it for an amazing deal with the cabinet for $200 (no leaks/no cracks/only 2 years old I promise my floors will be okay and I have used it for 6 months with no leaks ;) ). Down the line, I will upgrade the top to be a clear acrylic and of course another AI Prime will be purchased and set up. Most of what is in the nano will be moved over such as the AI Prime, the UV Sterilizer,rocks, sand, and of course my clowns, snails and sexy shrimp~! I have a top off system and will have to figure out a soluton for a smaller holding tub so I can stick it in the stand. I hope that in 2025 I can add more fish and finally restock the blue hermit crab colony. And of course, get more coral.I had a recent death wtih several and I think bigger will help me keep consistent numbers.

Now first thing first is the filter! I decided canister is the way to go. I did my research on my end and yes, canister filters are fine but I will have to change up the filter media so it works with my tank. A sump system is still scary to a newbie like me so this is my big girl next step.

I find chemipure elite works well and I plan to add LOADS biological media. I will keep the original 2 filter pads in the canister (top and bottom) and clean those out as needed but also change them out periodocally. In the middle I will have chemipire and biologicaal media. I decided to go with OASE Indoor Aquatics Biomaster Thermo 350 as someone recommended on here and I took my chances even if it was way out of my budget. Anything for my salty little fish. I wanted an integrated heater in my filter as I hate the clutter of it all in the tank. Of course, living in a warm climate helps keep the water warm. If winter brings cold fronts, I do not mind sticking an extra heater into the tank. I will make some sacrifices a few months out of the year.

SIDENOTE: I also use OASE skimmer for my nano freshwater and that little gadget catches EVERYTHING.

I will already have to place the UV Sterilizer in tHe back area and use my rock scape to hide it all. This filter, although best with tanks up to 90 gallons, will be pushing out 300GPH so the hope it I do not have to add future wave makers :face-in-clouds: I HOPE.

I am still figuring out placement but the spray nozzle and intake nozzle placement makes me content. Of course, that ugly canister will be hidden.

For now, this is all I have! I am hoping to get some rocks and sand this coming weeks and starting the slow cycling process. I will be using the OG lid to keep condensation down for the first few months of having nothing in this tank but I will be getting a custom lid down the line. Hope everyone can keep up with my journey. I love this hobby and pumped to get it going again!
im building a nano tank now its a 16 gallon long shallow, plan on using the oase thermo 250.

AmazingYocool

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

dope! My main tank is the fluval 32.5... Its filter isnt the best, but its been holding well for me so far. if I could I would have set up a canister before i set everything up

OP
OP
saltylilthang

saltylilthang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dope! My main tank is the fluval 32.5... Its filter isnt the best, but its been holding well for me so far. if I could I would have set up a canister before i set everything up
I've seen most people have good luck with the filter system and using custom made filter media holders you can stick in the back. However, even with constant cleaning and maintenance, my freshwater suffered and I can't imagine what disaster would have befallen me. Plus, it was covered with algea and scrubbing it off plastic would have been miserable. When I removed it, not only did I find much and gunk I even found a trapped fish who thankfully is living it up in their forever home. The filter system is basic but I just wanted more as I want this to be a final build for my saltwater journey.

AmazingYocool

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen most people have good luck with the filter system and using custom made filter media holders you can stick in the back. However, even with constant cleaning and maintenance, my freshwater suffered and I can't imagine what disaster would have befallen me. Plus, it was covered with algea and scrubbing it off plastic would have been miserable. When I removed it, not only did I find much and gunk I even found a trapped fish who thankfully is living it up in their forever home. The filter system is basic but I just wanted more as I want this to be a final build for my saltwater journey.
yea it def wasnt meant for saltwater. im excited to upgrade to my 60 with a sump! thats not till 8 months though

OP
OP
saltylilthang

saltylilthang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Small update:
Decided to paint the back wall a nice matte black. I did not like you could see the pipes and further more came to the conlusion that I REALLY do not want to see the wires. I also moved my intake and outtake and I love it a lot more. The water flow will push it into one direction, hopefully directing sediment into the intake valve. I will probably need a wavemaker on the other side eventually but only time will tell.
a3e33f8a-a50a-4e7d-9ba2-55979a36dec8.jpg

I already have one AI prime HD and found another one (16HD) second hand for a great price along with the flexible stand I plan to get next weekend. I do plan to use a diffuser to direct the light in a more unform fashion down the line. After the light and goosneck are installed, I plan to finally order a custom lid and once all is gathered, I will plan to get rockscape, sand, and more salt to mix.
f5dfd68d-608c-4e49-88f7-04b2bf3de64b.jpg

OP
OP
saltylilthang

saltylilthang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Small update: Just purchased second goosneck, 40lb fiji dry sand sand (I have my own nitryfying bioculture), and some modifications for the AI Prime. I was unable to get the secondhand prime, and althought it would be nice to have the second light this early in my build, it's not necessary as only the goosneck is needed for measurment purposes of a custom lid. Hoping to have all this next week. I still need:

Filter Needs:
Biomedia
ChemiPure

Scape:
Dry Rock

Salt Mix (Tropic Marin)

We are repaiting our walls so the tank will still be empty for another month or so. This gives me time to collect the rest of what I need :star-struck:

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HAVE YOU EVER KEPT A RARE/UNCOMMON FISH, CORAL, OR INVERT? SHOW IT OFF IN THE THREAD!

• Yes!

Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 3 4.3%
Back