29 Gallon Budget/Nostalgia Build

PasoFish89

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm a bit late in getting pics posted here as the stand is most of the way done, but oh well.

This started out as a 75 Gallon build for our "great room"/living room, but 1900 square feet and 3 kids later, available space has diminished. It's ok, the 75 gallon is going to be a FOWLR non reef safe tank for the garage. Really looking forward to that. So once I realized we didn't have the wall space for a 48 inch tank, I found a perfect spot for a 29 gallon aqueon. 33 inches of wall space by the couch, I'll get a photo of the location soon. I also recall fondly the LFS where I grew up where the owner had a 29 Gallon display in part of the store that I think about from time to time and how great the tank looked.

Regardless of tank size, I always intended this build to be more of a budget build. I love the lineup of tanks from Waterbox, Innovative-Marine, Cade etc., but I Just can't get behind the turn key pricing they're all doing now. I currently have 2 innovative marine tanks, the quality is wonderful, but the fact that you can't buy a tank from them now without the stand and sump etc kinda chapped my behind. The stands are great, but they don't match the flow of my house and I want a canopy, after running tanks without canopies for years now, I'm tired of the light spill etc.. I won't get going on too much of a soap box and the state of tank companies, aperture etc, I promise.

So far I have:

-29 gallon aqueon, purchase at the formerly dollar per gallon now 50% off sale. $45
-10 gallon aqueon, $12? $15? I don't remember
-Fiji Cube sump kit, $60ish
-Sicce 1.5 Pump, had from previous tank, I think at the time I paid $65
-ADJ Power Station, $30
-Fiji Cube Overflow, open box, $90
-Built stand, $150ish so far
-Using two existing AI Prime 16HDs
-Using existing Tunze Osmolator
-Using existing heaters
-Using existing Inkbird
-Using existing kaomer dosing pumps

Running total so far $455

To Do List:

-Skimmer, Likely going to get the 120 Simplicity
-Build Canopy
-Caulk, sand, paint stand and canopy
-Drill tank
-Plumb and dry fit everything
-Incorporate backup power, I currently use an EcoFlow River Max 2 and it's too big to build into the stand or canopy, however I think the new river 3 might be able to be built in somewhere. I live in lovely sunny California, serviced by PG&E and lose power anytime theres a stiff breeze, so something to bridge the gap between outages and manually firing up the back up generator is a necessity.
-Decide on stocking. I currently have 4 pairs of clowns, 1 Valentini Puffer, 1 Orchid Dottyback, 1 Coral Beauty, 2 Kupang Damsels, 1 Six Line wrasse, 1 Tailspot Blenny and 1 Coral Banded Shrimp spread across my systems that I can incorporate into this tank.

Here's some pics of the tank sitting on the stand, I need to caulk, sand, patch and paint the stand still. It's frame is 2x4s and then I finished it with MDF and Birch for the skin. The doors I made to be completely removable with magnets instead of hinges thanks to some fit issues with the hinges I had available to me.

IMG_6051.jpeg IMG_6053.jpeg IMG_6055.jpeg IMG_6056.jpeg

Anyway, if you made it this far, thanks for coming along. I'll post more soon, I plan on having it up and running by November.

everpresentnoob

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have that same switch power distro system in my freshwater tanks. Love being able to just flip a switch to turn off and on the various things between my Axolotl tank and my wife's Shrimp and Pea Puffer tank. On my salt tank that wouldnt fit under the stand as easily so I found a traditional "Surge protector" style bank that still has switches for each outlet.

Ironwill723

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So I'm a bit late in getting pics posted here as the stand is most of the way done, but oh well.

This started out as a 75 Gallon build for our "great room"/living room, but 1900 square feet and 3 kids later, available space has diminished. It's ok, the 75 gallon is going to be a FOWLR non reef safe tank for the garage. Really looking forward to that. So once I realized we didn't have the wall space for a 48 inch tank, I found a perfect spot for a 29 gallon aqueon. 33 inches of wall space by the couch, I'll get a photo of the location soon. I also recall fondly the LFS where I grew up where the owner had a 29 Gallon display in part of the store that I think about from time to time and how great the tank looked.

Regardless of tank size, I always intended this build to be more of a budget build. I love the lineup of tanks from Waterbox, Innovative-Marine, Cade etc., but I Just can't get behind the turn key pricing they're all doing now. I currently have 2 innovative marine tanks, the quality is wonderful, but the fact that you can't buy a tank from them now without the stand and sump etc kinda chapped my behind. The stands are great, but they don't match the flow of my house and I want a canopy, after running tanks without canopies for years now, I'm tired of the light spill etc.. I won't get going on too much of a soap box and the state of tank companies, aperture etc, I promise.

So far I have:

-29 gallon aqueon, purchase at the formerly dollar per gallon now 50% off sale. $45
-10 gallon aqueon, $12? $15? I don't remember
-Fiji Cube sump kit, $60ish
-Sicce 1.5 Pump, had from previous tank, I think at the time I paid $65
-ADJ Power Station, $30
-Fiji Cube Overflow, open box, $90
-Built stand, $150ish so far
-Using two existing AI Prime 16HDs
-Using existing Tunze Osmolator
-Using existing heaters
-Using existing Inkbird
-Using existing kaomer dosing pumps

Running total so far $455

To Do List:

-Skimmer, Likely going to get the 120 Simplicity
-Build Canopy
-Caulk, sand, paint stand and canopy
-Drill tank
-Plumb and dry fit everything
-Incorporate backup power, I currently use an EcoFlow River Max 2 and it's too big to build into the stand or canopy, however I think the new river 3 might be able to be built in somewhere. I live in lovely sunny California, serviced by PG&E and lose power anytime theres a stiff breeze, so something to bridge the gap between outages and manually firing up the back up generator is a necessity.
-Decide on stocking. I currently have 4 pairs of clowns, 1 Valentini Puffer, 1 Orchid Dottyback, 1 Coral Beauty, 2 Kupang Damsels, 1 Six Line wrasse, 1 Tailspot Blenny and 1 Coral Banded Shrimp spread across my systems that I can incorporate into this tank.

Here's some pics of the tank sitting on the stand, I need to caulk, sand, patch and paint the stand still. It's frame is 2x4s and then I finished it with MDF and Birch for the skin. The doors I made to be completely removable with magnets instead of hinges thanks to some fit issues with the hinges I had available to me.

IMG_6051.jpeg IMG_6053.jpeg IMG_6055.jpeg IMG_6056.jpeg

Anyway, if you made it this far, thanks for coming along. I'll post more soon, I plan on having it up and running by November.
Nice build, where did you find those magnetic mounts?

OP
OP
P

PasoFish89

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice build, where did you find those magnetic mounts?

Amazon link.

Theres the magnets, I wasn't sure if they would be strong enough as it's one magnet and a metal washer essentially. My assumptions were right, they're not strong enough to keep the doors form sliding downwards. The doors are 3/4 MDF stock and 1/4 birch paneling, not that heavy. I was going to inlay some magnets and remove the washers on the doors, but using scrap MDF to make a ledge was cheaper and easier.

Ironwill723

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Amazon link.

Theres the magnets, I wasn't sure if they would be strong enough as it's one magnet and a metal washer essentially. My assumptions were right, they're not strong enough to keep the doors form sliding downwards. The doors are 3/4 MDF stock and 1/4 birch paneling, not that heavy. I was going to inlay some magnets and remove the washers on the doors, but using scrap MDF to make a ledge was cheaper and easier.
Thanks! I will check them out.

OP
OP
P

PasoFish89

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Canopy Update

Got the canopy built tonight. I also decided to buy a 4 bulb T5 Fixture and went 50/50 Coral+ and B+ on the bulbs. The fixture will be hanging about 5 inches above the water as of right now.

Current to do list:
-Drill and plumb overflow
-Caulk, patch, sand stand and canopy for paint
-Paint
-Install canopy fans for air exchange. I fully enclosed the canopy because I really dislike light spill.
-Not sure what else, it's late and I need to clean the house before the kids get after it again tomorrow.

I used a piano hinge to create access with the canopy.
IMG_6160.jpg

The canopy is 12" tall, it looks a little distorted in this photo. I think it looks good in person.
IMG_6161.jpg

I used some foam weather stripping to help with light spill where the front of the canopy will close.

IMG_6162.jpg

Anyway, thanks for checking in. We'll see how the T5 works out. I've always liked the appearance of T5 better than LED so I just decided the other night to buy a fixture and go with it. It's not not an aquarium fixture, so the bulb connections aren't protected. I have a glass flip top lid I can put on the tank if I see any salt creep at first.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HAVE YOU EVER KEPT A RARE/UNCOMMON FISH, CORAL, OR INVERT? SHOW IT OFF IN THE THREAD!

• Yes!

Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 3 4.3%
Back