+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many fish can go into a 29 gal

Do any eat hair algae, I like peaceful fish, need reef safe

I like
Ocellaris clowns
Carpenter flasher wrasse
Gobys (Rainford’s Goby, orange spot, diamond goby, shark nose)
Blenys (orange spot, striped, black line, segmented sailfin)
Basslett black cap or royal gamma
Colored filefish
Bangaii cardinal

Urchins/sea stars

Avast

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All of them...if you use a blender

Cracking Up Lol GIF by reactionseditor

Kasrift

2500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How many fish can go into a 29 gal

Do any eat hair algae, I like peaceful fish, need reef safe

I like
Ocellaris clowns
Carpenter flasher wrasse
Gobys (Rainford’s Goby, orange spot, diamond goby, shark nose)
Blenys (orange spot, striped, black line, segmented sailfin)
Basslett black cap or royal gamma
Colored filefish
Bangaii cardinal

Urchins/sea stars
You have a good list to choose from. Rainford gobies eat algae. Diamond might be too big for a 29 gallon and sand sifting gobies in general do better in much bigger systems. Combtooth blennies also each algae. I think sailfin is a broad term, but I think those are mostly the plain algae blennies (there is a much more ornamental sailfin with blue and orange markings but I think it might be a temperate species).

How many, depends on the mix and aggression. Generally speaking for that size, aim for 4-5. Rainfords are smaller, tailspot blennies are smaller too than the regular algae blennies, those with a Gramma or tilefish and clowns could work. Flasher wrasse need a bit more space or you'd have to have open swim space and a smaller stocking list.

OP
OP
Morganeb98

Morganeb98

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have a good list to choose from. Rainford gobies eat algae. Diamond might be too big for a 29 gallon and sand sifting gobies in general do better in much bigger systems. Combtooth blennies also each algae. I think sailfin is a broad term, but I think those are mostly the plain algae blennies (there is a much more ornamental sailfin with blue and orange markings but I think it might be a temperate species).

How many, depends on the mix and aggression. Generally speaking for that size, aim for 4-5. Rainfords are smaller, tailspot blennies are smaller too than the regular algae blennies, those with a Gramma or tilefish and clowns could work. Flasher wrasse need a bit more space or you'd have to have open swim space and a smaller stocking list.
Can different species be in the same tank for the blennys?

Nutramar Foods

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't do more that 4 fish in a 29 gallon. I have had a pair of clowns and a royal Gramma together or the same clowns with a sixline wrasse, which is my current arrangement, can't put anything else in due to the wrasse.

Your list looks good to pick from.

Kasrift

2500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I don't do more that 4 fish in a 29 gallon. I have had a pair of clowns and a royal Gramma together or the same clowns with a sixline wrasse, which is my current arrangement, can't put anything else in due to the wrasse.

I don't disagree with you at all, four is very safe. I do think the final selection could bump it to five though. Sixlines can be aggressive and so can clowns, and both can get to 4 inches as well as the bengai. If the original poster doesn't do clowns and sticks to smaller fish, I still think you could do five.

Example of five fish that are smaller could be:
Yasha goby/pistol shrimp pair
Rainford goby
Tailspot Blenny
And pair of Fire fish/dartfish

At the end of the day, some of the consideration also has to be amount of habitat/rockwork and filtration. If you don't take those into consideration, you could end up with stressed fish because you only want to do 10lbs of rockwork for a more open look and have tons of algae because you over stock fish without the proper filtration. The OP didn't say if there is a refugium, skimmer, or what export levels exist.

OP
OP
Morganeb98

Morganeb98

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Are six lines coral safe

Kasrift

2500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Another alternative to a six line, though I'm not sure if it is a complete replacement, would be a Springeri Damsel. They are also called sapphire damsels and are one of the more peaceful damsels. They are hardy, stay small, eat pests and are great. It was the first fish into my tank.

AquaCave Logo Banner
OP
OP
Morganeb98

Morganeb98

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's good to know I do like damsels but they always seemed too aggressive
Another alternative to a six line, though I'm not sure if it is a complete replacement, would be a Springeri Damsel. They are also called sapphire damsels and are one of the more peaceful damsels. They are hardy, stay small, eat pests and are great. It was the first fish into my tank.

Kasrift

2500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you are looking for a peaceful wrasse for a smaller system that will be good at pest removal, you could always go with a possum wrasse. There are only three variations of color that I know but take a look at the requirements here on LiveAquaria https://www.liveaquaria.com/product/3041/?pcatid=3041

jabberwock

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nutramar Foods

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are six lines coral safe
Yes sixlines won't bother corals, but would be more likely to be a bully in a small tank, mine has probably eaten every copepod in my tank, has taken care of flatworms and I believe eaten some of the tiny limpets in my tank.

blaxsun

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had up to 10 small fish in a 25-gallon, so it all depends on the type of fish, rockscape (enough hiding/sleeping spots), filtration, etc. 4 would probably be considered a light bio load, 6 an average bio load and 8 or more a heavy bio load.

Red2143

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had up to 10 small fish in a 25-gallon, so it all depends on the type of fish, rockscape (enough hiding/sleeping spots), filtration, etc. 4 would probably be considered a light bio load, 6 an average bio load and 8 or more a heavy bio load.
Which 10 fish?

Top Shelf Aquatics

blaxsun

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which 10 fish?
I'll get in trouble with the Tang Police for this, but: 1x teeny (1.25") sailfin tang, 1x small (1") midnight angelfish, 2x small blue-green chromis, 1x lawnmower blenny, 1x fairy wrasse, 1x flame hawkfish, 1x pajamma cardinalfish, 2x ocellaris clownfish. In the second tank I had 1x small (1") coral beauty angelfish, 1x midas blenny, 1x pictus blenny, 2x mandarin dragonets, 2x small blue-green chromis, 1x small sixline wrasse, 1x small melanarus wrasse.

I had a pair of IM Fusion 25 tanks each with 8-10 fish that were overstocked while I was waiting on a (delayed) Red Sea Reefer 750XXL v3 tank. All the fish did perfectly fine and were transferred to the new tank without incident.

Addendum: Since I no longer edit the previous post, the "9-10 fish" in each tank (as indicated above) were primarily due to overstocking (temporary housing). The fish were also very young, small - and I had a full filtration setup running that got changed/emptied every few days. 6 fish is plenty for a 25-gallon, and anything more than that requires additional care/consideration.

Last edited:

Kasrift

2500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'll get in trouble with the Tang Police for this, but: 1x teeny (1.25") sailfin tang, 1x small (1") midnight angelfish, 2x small blue-green chromis, 1x lawnmower blenny, 1x fairy wrasse, 1x flame hawkfish, 1x pajamma cardinalfish, 2x ocellaris clownfish. In the second tank I had 1x small (1") coral beauty angelfish, 1x midas blenny, 1x pictus blenny, 2x mandarin dragonets, 2x small blue-green chromis, 1x small sixline wrasse, 1x small melanarus wrasse.

I had a pair of IM Fusion 25 tanks each with 8-10 fish that were overstocked while I was waiting on a (delayed) Red Sea Reefer 750XXL v3 tank. All the fish did perfectly fine and were transferred to the new tank without incident.
I think you mentioned two things that are important. Firstly, you mentioned they were over stocked. 10 is definitely way too many for that sized tank. Second, yours was a temporary housing until you got your larger tank. People often quarantine a few tangs in 20 gallons, doesn't mean they should be there long term. I had six in my 32 gallon, I had to move one recently to my extra quarantine tank because after 9 months of being together with no issues, the starry blenny started taking issues with my yellow watchman goby.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Coral-vault.com
Back