220 gallon tank: Reinforcing Floors

kingalee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for some input, I have moved into a new home (an older 1 story home with a crawl space) and was wondering what kind of support I would need for a 220 gallon tank (older tank with stand and hood) if it’s needed. The pictures attached are of the flooring underneath in the crawl space. I’ve had three 55 gallons on the same rack in the middle of the house with no issues but didn’t know if I’d be pushing it with a 220. (If it’s needed how would I do this without adding a bunch of stuff to the house as I’m renting it).

IMG_1686.jpeg IMG_1683.jpeg IMG_1688.jpeg IMG_1689.jpeg IMG_1690.jpeg

SaltySqueeble

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
May not need to but Wouldn’t want to do major damage. Maybe a couple long 2x6 to run underneath those joist boards, and attached to foundation or load bearing wall. Set tank perpendicular to the joists, close to wall or in corner for safest results

PharmrJohn

The Dude Abides
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm gonna be puttiing a 155g in my living room in about 6 months. Prior to this I'm actually having someone come in and reinforce my flooring (I have a crawlspace as well). I read a VERY long article on what to expect and how to ensure safety with tanks above a basement or a crawlspace. It was COMPLICATED! There was so much to consider that my takeaway was I am not a structural engineer and need the expert advice one would offer. It'll cost some money, but hey! This is NOT a cheap hobby LOL!!!!

Coinzmans Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would build two small 2x4 stud walls. Install walls perpendicular to joists right under tank with 4' spacing between them and add two sets of cross braces at each end. the whole thing should take an hour.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back