Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just bought one purple tang. I know very exciting! I also purchased a yellow tang as well. My dream was to have 2 yellow tangs. However the woman at the store told me I had to have at least 3 yellow tangs. So they wouldn’t fight. Was she right? I really wanted two yellow tangs.. does any one have two yellow tangs? Or even 2 and 1 purple like my goal was.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Euphyllia97

Empty wallet member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty sure it can be done! Thing is... the key is to introduce them at the same time when they are approximately the same size. Use multiple feeding stations and learn about their personality. I can see some logic in the 3 yellow tangs, although it would require a very big tank. I would do it now or never (that is if the tangs haven’t found their spots yet)

Top Shelf Aquatics

Super Fly

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it should be fine as long as tank's big enough and they are fed well to keep aggression in check. I've seen tanks with many yellow tangs and secret was keeping the tank well fed

dwest

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s what I have in my 180 (2 yellows and one purple). I would, at a minimum, put a couple mirrors on the side of the glass when introducing the new guys.

Pongo

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 yellow and 1 purple tangs. They do sometimes argue over sleeping arrangements, but no fighting now.

Like you I purchased the purple tang first. He quickly became the tank boss and still is years later.
I purchased the 2 yellow tangs months later from Petco, so they went through a long QT and then a couple months in a separate tank I set up just for them to have an extended observation period for diseases.

Lastly - I introduced the 2 yellow tangs in an acclamation box for 2 days in the main tank.
The larger of the 2 did fine when released, but the slightly smaller one instantly became the target as the other 2 larger tangs ganged up on the little guy.
The smaller yellow tang went back into the acclamation box for 5 more days and when finally released into genpop stood his ground and did fine.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
WWW.ANIMATEDCORALS.COM
Back