2-Sided Trash Can Safe For Saltwater Prep?

BRS

mistergray

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My reef tank falls between our kitchen and dining room. My wife is against anything that creates an eyesore. I currently use a a trash can for putting new saltwater into the tank and a bucket for removing old saltwater out of the tank. And once finished I have to place it into the garage. I’d like to instead use a 2-sided “fancy” :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes: trash can. One side for the prepared saltwater and one side that takes the old saltwater. I’d use a Neptune DOS to accomplish this task.

My question is, what is it about brute trash cans that makes them safe for saltwater prep? I’d like to make sure whatever 2-sided trash can I get is safe for saltwater preparation as well and I’m not sure what to look for.

5225470A-8014-4529-A7CE-8942395AB6D9.png

CLICK TO VIEW
World Wide Corals

zoomonster

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a new similar one and pretty sure they are not watertight and are meant to have a garbage bag in them. And stainless steel pffftt. Cheap imitation of stainless and most will rust. I use food safe brutes and store in the garage.

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar
OP
OP
mistergray

mistergray

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cheap and they don't rust. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

I wouldn't use a cheap stainless steel one, it will rust. Use a plastic one.

You're going to be stuck with an eye sore. You'll have to go plastic which will never look at good as the steel options you shared

i use brute cans more for there strength. put it in the garage when your done, better than having a flood and a very unhappy wife.

I have a new similar one and pretty sure they are not watertight and are meant to have a garbage bag in them. And stainless steel pffftt. Cheap imitation of stainless and most will rust. I use food safe brutes and store in the garage.
So none of you feel like the inner (removable) plastic trash cans that come inside the 2-sided stainless steel trash container are sufficient? The water would be in the plastic bins that sit in the stainless steel trash can.

44520F26-6207-488A-88E1-AA497BFBCBF6.jpeg

EBDA1BBE-B0E0-40D6-9045-BDB0C2127D13.jpeg

OP
OP
mistergray

mistergray

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well maybe... missed the plastic removable bin. Assuming the plastic is safe (definitely not food grade) it might be ok but I guarantee you will get salt on the metal parts and it will eventually rust.
Hmmm…. :thinking-face: I’ll have to do more research. Maybe there’s another version of the same type of trash can that doesn’t have a steel outside. Also, I’ll look into one that has food grade plastic inserts.

Top Shelf Aquatics

SpyC

Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So none of you feel like the inner (removable) plastic trash cans that come inside the 2-sided stainless steel trash container are sufficient? The water would be in the plastic bins that sit in the stainless steel trash can.

View attachment 3112526
View attachment 3112527
You'll always get some water not where you want it and there will be moisture from evaporation.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Ultimate Corals
Back