170 Gallon Reef on first floor?

AetherealKnight

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never really thought about this till now since my current tank (RS 350) isn’t really big. But my first floor should be able to hold 170 gallon right? Or is it going to have to go in the basement, cause that would be disappointing.

If it makes any difference my floor is supported with I Beams and my current tank runs parallel to it. (Example Pic.. not my house) Other than that I don’t really know much about house construction.

littlefoxx

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 300 gallon is on the first floor against a load bearing wall and perpendicular to the floor joists, so I think you should be good. But every house is different, if youre worried call a structural engineer to come out and look!

whammack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To help you would have to give joist spacing, size of joist, type of wood the floor and sub floor are and distace from support walls. I know that's alot but, it's only a wild guess if that info isn't taken into account. Also do you have a sump? If so how big?

OP
OP
AetherealKnight

AetherealKnight

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To help you would have to give joist spacing, size of joist, type of wood the floor and sub floor are and distace from support walls. I know that's alot but, it's only a wild guess if that info isn't taken into account. Also do you have a sump? If so how big?
I haven’t go the tank yet, but I know that the sump will be around 50 gallons.

Lionel Mandrake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 300 gallon is on the first floor against a load bearing wall and perpendicular to the floor joists, so I think you should be good. But every house is different, if youre worried call a structural engineer to come out and look!

I am curious, littlefox, did you have a structural engineer look at your floor before you set up the 300 gallon? I am curious what kind of joists you have that would make a structural engineer comfortable with close to 3,000 pounds on an unsupported (from below) floor?

If you search around on these types of 'floor support' questions, you routinely get a bunch of 'you should get engineer' or 'I have a 75 gallon and I was worried so I put in jack posts below the floor' and other responses that, to me, seem way overly conservative/cautious.

Your post was unique in this regard, which is why I am curious about your specific floor construction.

Thanks.

Last edited:

littlefoxx

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am curious, littlefox, did you have a structural engineer look at your floor before you set up the 300 gallon? I am curious what kind of joists you have that would make a structural engineer comfortable with close to 3,000 pounds on an unsupported (from below) floor?

If you search around on these types of 'floor support' questions, you routinely get a bunch of 'you should get engineer' or 'I have a 75 gallon and I was worried so I put in jack posts below the floor' and other responses that, to me, seem way overly conservative/cautious.

Your post was unique in this regard, which is why I am curious about your specific floor construction.

Thanks.
Ill send you a PM :)

Lionel Mandrake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ill send you a PM :)
Thanks, littlefoxx. Got the PM. Very much appreciated.

I suspect I'll end up reinforcing my floor a bit for my 180 gallon. It is going against a load bearing wall perpendicular to and across about 4-5 joists, but there are no load bearing beams under it. I can't put jack posts under it because the room underneath is finished and wife says no new columns in it, lol.

Thanks again.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back