Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m in the process of setting up a new tank, it’s a 150 gallon (60”x24”x24”) with a 40 gallon sump. I’ve been getting a live stock list going and was wondering what the best order to add the fish would be, besides clowns first. I should add both the tangs at once to curve aggression correct? Should I add them after the clowns or wait awhile? Here’s my list so far:
Clown pair

Blue tang

Yellow tang

Royal gramma

At least 3 Pj cardinals

Flame angle

Mandarin or 2 (once pods are established)

Mystery wrasse

Yellow wrasse

Ruby head wrasse

Rhomboid wrasse

Midas blenny

Sunburst anthias

Nutramar Foods

Suohhen

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The best source I have ever found on mixing tangs is this article.
I would recommend against the flame angel on a new tank, if you want to add one in the future once your corals are established and can handle being harassed it is less of a risk but there is a much better angelfish option especially on such a large tank. Genicanthus Angels are totally reef safe, big, and do great in pairs/trios.
Wrasses are very peaceful fish so I would add them pretty early on but they can also deplete pods fast so that's a tricky issue. Also I am a big fan of flasher wrasses.
Reef safe butterflies are also a great option on big tanks, pyramid's are awesome. Long noses can be a bit risky but again as long as you wait for things to establish it isn't too much of a risk.
Also where are the gobies, and one blenny...?

Tcook

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That mystery wrasse is going to be a bully at some point. I would leave that one our. Add a Vivien instead.

I agree with suohhen on the angels. Maybe consider a Watanabe or Bellus, or both.

Maybe a Bimac instead of the sunburst. I haven't kept a sunburst but would be concerned about it with a lot of aggressive eaters.

CLICK TO VIEW
OP
OP
SD_Reefer_Madness

SD_Reefer_Madness

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That mystery wrasse is going to be a bully at some point. I would leave that one our. Add a Vivien instead.

I agree with suohhen on the angels. Maybe consider a Watanabe or Bellus, or both.

Maybe a Bimac instead of the sunburst. I haven't kept a sunburst but would be concerned about it with a lot of aggressive eaters.
Will the mystery be a bully to all the other fish or just the wrasses? YT and mystery wrasse are gotta haves

OP
OP
SD_Reefer_Madness

SD_Reefer_Madness

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The best source I have ever found on mixing tangs is this article.
I would recommend against the flame angel on a new tank, if you want to add one in the future once your corals are established and can handle being harassed it is less of a risk but there is a much better angelfish option especially on such a large tank. Genicanthus Angels are totally reef safe, big, and do great in pairs/trios.
Wrasses are very peaceful fish so I would add them pretty early on but they can also deplete pods fast so that's a tricky issue. Also I am a big fan of flasher wrasses.
Reef safe butterflies are also a great option on big tanks, pyramid's are awesome. Long noses can be a bit risky but again as long as you wait for things to establish it isn't too much of a risk.
Also where are the gobies, and one blenny...?
Thanks I was on the fence about the flame angel, I’ll leave that one out. Definitely will add some more gobies and blennys

desagon

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like your fish list. I have the same size tank as you and I introduced my Chocolate tang and rabbit fish together, and last.

I've had Zebrasoma tangs in the past, and they got really aggressive once I added other fish, especially a Powder Brown Tang.

I cant say much on the rest of the list as I don't have a lid or sand in my tank. So, no Wrasses.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks I was on the fence about the flame angel, I’ll leave that one out. Definitely will add some more gobies and blennys
for that size tank a trio of watanabei angels would look amazing imo. Looking at the stocking right now I think you are only medium stocked with that many fish, totally a good starting point to use and after just mea

Suohhen

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
for that size tank a trio of watanabei angels would look amazing imo. Looking at the stocking right now I think you are only medium stocked with that many fish, totally a good starting point to use and after just mea
For sure, my personal fav is the Bellus but that is splitting hairs between the Bellus and Wantanabe. I can't swallow the cost however so I have a trio of Swallowtails that I got for $120. Less than the cost of one of those fish.

Tcook

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will the mystery be a bully to all the other fish or just the wrasses? YT and mystery wrasse are gotta haves

Get a radiant wrasse instead of the mystery. You will love it. I had a mystery wrasse. Beautiful fish but I decided to sell it at the end of QT so I wouldn't have to fish it out of my 120 later on.

CLICK TO VIEW
BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Back