15 gallon tank ideas

poloreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi I just got a 15 gallon tank, I'm about to set up I already have clownfish in my 25 gallon tank , I like to know is their any small fish like neon tetra or schooling fish for saltwater I been looking but most of the ones I found like to hide in the sand , I had a goby but never seen it because it hides in the sand any idea reef fam

WalkerLovesTheOcean

I love acans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi I just got a 15 gallon tank, I'm about to set up I already have clownfish in my 25 gallon tank , I like to know is their any small fish like neon tetra or schooling fish for saltwater I been looking but most of the ones I found like to hide in the sand , I had a goby but never seen it because it hides in the sand any idea reef fam
No schooling marine fish would work in a 15g, unfortuantly. 15g's can probably house 2-3 small fish. You could try:

-Firefish
- blennies
- gobies
- basslets

Stick to fish with an adult size of 3" that aren't very active.

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 15 gallon AIO that's home to a Court Jester Goby (Koumansetta rainfordi), which is a tank raised fish from Biota, and I'm really happy with him. Eats everything, super easy to care for, unlike the wild caught ones.

I also have a Yellow Watchman Goby (Cryptocentrus cinctus) that's paired with a Tiger Pistol Shrimp (Alpheus bellulus). These guys have a cool relationship, the shrimp works all day to maintain a borrow it shares with the Goby, and the Goby - true to its name - spends all day watching for danger. If the fish gets startled, it slaps its tail, which alerts the shrimp, and they both go darting in their borrow.

Sadly, I also had a Tail Spot Blenny (Ecsenius stigmatura) until just yesterday :-( I accidently left the screen top off of the tank late the other evening, and I found my poor Tail Spot Blenny, Lenny, on the floor yesterday morning. RIP, Lenny! Sorry, little dude!

I went to the LFS tonight and replaced the Tail Spot Blenny. He's in a QT tank right now. I would suggest that when you bring new fish home that you quarantine them to reduce the chance of fish parasites getting into your main system.

I put a fair amount of time and research, and asked a lot of questions here on R2R when I chose these three fish for this small tank. I wanted ultra-peaceful fish, including around inverts. These three have done very well for me in my 15 gallon, with the exception of the poor Tail Spot jumping out of the tank.

Additionally, I have a Fire Cleaner Shrimp (Lysmata debelius), a couple small Emerald Green/Mithrax crabs (Mithrax sculptus), a variety of hermits, snails, etc. I started the tank with maricultured live rock and sand from Tampa Bay Saltwater, which came with A LOT of cool hitchhiker critters.

So no little shoaling fish like freshwater Neon Tetras (Paracheirodon innesi), but a pretty interesting cast of characters for sure :)

Good luck with your tank!

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rainfords gobies are super pretty too
I thought so! I'm just not a great photographer, but way cool fish! IMG_0637.jpeg

steveschuerger

I love Gonis and Euphyllia. Maybe too much
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just changed over from a freshwater setup with my modded up Biocube 16 g . I was thinking possum wrasse and possibly 2 or 3 more small fish like a basslet and possibly goby or ruby dragonet once the bioload capacity gets higher. Rainford or Hectors gobies are nice as has been mentioned. Have a Hectors in my 90. Pretty little thing, nobody bothers it either.
IMG_9703.jpeg

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just changed over from a freshwater setup with my modded up Biocube 16 g . I was thinking possum wrasse and possibly 2 or 3 more small fish like a basslet and possibly goby or ruby dragonet once the bioload capacity gets higher. Rainford or Hectors gobies are nice as has been mentioned. Have a Hectors in my 90. Pretty little thing, nobody bothers it either.
IMG_9703.jpeg
Just an aside, I love your cat in your sig :)

Mr. Mojo Rising

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 15 gallon has a royal gramma, 3 clown gobies (yellow, black, and green), a masked goby, a redhead goby, and a neon goby. They've been together almost 3 years. The tank is mostly soft corals and RFA's and a couple of lps.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back