10+ Year Old Yellow Tang Struggling

Stevorino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jay Hemdal @vetteguy53081

My 10+ year old yellow tang is struggling after a move.

All other fish made the move and are doing fine (2 clowns, blue tang, gem tang, 3 anthias, engineer goby, cardinal)

She is generally swimming where the flow is the most mild, and I have the flow very mild compared to our last home. She will eat a piece or two of frozen mysis each feeding and then just chill. She used to eat enthusiastically.

Beyond the eating, what concerns me the most is that she will essentially swim in place and then have these sudden spasms out of nowhere. No fish will be around her. She'll just throw up her fins and act as if she is going to do something and then resume swimming mildly in current.

Any ideas?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0

All other fish made the move and are doing fine (2 clowns, blue tang, gem tang, 3 anthias, engineer goby, cardinal)

She is generally swimming where the flow is the most mild, and I have the flow very mild compared to our last home. She will eat a piece or two of frozen mysis each feeding and then just chill. She used to eat enthusiastically.

Beyond the eating, what concerns me the most is that she will essentially swim in place and then have these sudden spasms out of nowhere. No fish will be around her. She'll just throw up her fins and act as if she is going to do something and then resume swimming mildly in current.

Any ideas?
These are signs of velvet but unconfirmed, as a different type of water, ph and environment can affect different fish. While it does not have a high effect, adding ruby rally pro May help with this but monitor the fish for typical signs of velvet such as fish will scratch body against hard objects, lethargic behavior, Loss of appetite and weight loss, Rapid, labored breathing, Fins clamped against the body, and typically stay at the surface of the water, or remain in a position where a steady flow of water is present in the aquarium.

OP
OP
Stevorino

Stevorino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't disregard the white lighting request, but her skin has looked totally normal/consistent and didn't want to change her behavior. If it's important to further diagnosis I am happy to take a new video. I think this one captures her behavior well.

She was previously the 'Queen of the Tank'

No new fish have been added to this group in... ~6 months? I did have Velvet a year ago (that you all helped me with) and no signs since.

We moved in early July. They were initially sharing a 40g breeder w/ existing live rock for about a month as I got things setup.

I just moved them into this tank a week ago with some of that rock and other rock I was 'cooking' during the transition month. No other fish show any issues.

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0

I see a split in the tail of the tang which may be aggression. Due to shimmer from the light, cant clearly see skin. Elevated breathing I see but no other symptoms at least from video.
Did you see any of the velvet signs mentioned?
If not, keep an eye on fish and report any new or unusual findings

OP
OP
Stevorino

Stevorino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see a split in the tail of the tang which may be aggression. Due to shimmer from the light, cant clearly see skin. Elevated breathing I see but no other symptoms at least from video.
Did you see any of the velvet signs mentioned?
If not, keep an eye on fish and report any new or unusual findings
Thank you so much!

I haven't seen aggression nor signs of velvet, but admittedly succumbed to both of them in the past before noticing.

Any suggestions for extra care beyond a closer lookout?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Thank you so much!

I haven't seen aggression nor signs of velvet, but admittedly succumbed to both of them in the past before noticing.

Any suggestions for extra care beyond a closer lookout?
Maintain both good water quality and diet. I have 26 tangs and many ask what is my secret - None other than good water quality and diet

OP
OP
Stevorino

Stevorino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To, looks like everybody is re establishing hierarchy. Like a defensive aggression. Expected if you just emptied and moved the tank
That makes sense, I suppose

Sorta funny given that half the fish have been together a decade and the other half over a year lol

Reefering1

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean keep watching them and try to get better pics for the medics but behavior looks like it to me. That's why they suggest changing scape to combat aggression..m

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Any ideas?
What was the timeline between the physical move and these symptoms? Immideately after?

Moving long term captive fish is always with some risk - physical damage, but also that older fish don’t always adjust well to new conditions

OP
OP
Stevorino

Stevorino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What was the timeline between the physical move and these symptoms? Immideately after?

Moving long term captive fish is always with some risk - physical damage, but also that older fish don’t always adjust well to new conditions

Physical move from old tank was late June. They were my QT 40g breeder ~6 weeks while I got the tank setup (no medication).

I just moved them back into the main display last Wednesday. Didn't start seeing these symptoms until yesterday.

Today she took a single bite of mysis and that's all. She's swimming better though. Haven't seen any aggression yet, but planned on spending some time watching from afar this afternoon.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back