Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im testing parameters today and this are my results, phosphate has been high and increasing.
I was over feeding a few days ago due to a pair of clowns not eating at all for over a week , unfortunately they end up dying .
I’ve been doing a weekly 25% water change.(use Rodi water)
I currently have a yasha goby paired with a pistol shrimp and clean up crew .
What could I do to reduce my phosphates ?
Should I do a bigger water change ?
Phosphate tested using Hanna ULR checker

IMG_2176.jpeg

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

ReefHunter006

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just don’t make any big changes too fast if you have any sensitive coral. It is certainly something you should examine and make changes, but it isn’t the end of the world. Below is my tank and the po4 from the last few months.

IMG_0252.png

OP
OP
Zoriem

Zoriem

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just don’t make any big changes too fast if you have any sensitive coral. It is certainly something you should examine and make changes, but it isn’t the end of the world. Below is my tank and the po4 from the last few months.

View attachment 3173524
Wow that’s an awesome looking tank .
Yea I’m just concern since I’m new to reefing and not sure I’m doing things correctly .

World Wide Corals

ReefHunter006

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Po4 is tricky. You have a few options you can Google or search on Reef2reef.

Bio pellets
GFO
Carbon dosing
Lanthium chloride

They all have pros and cons and you would need to determine the fit with your style.

It is generally advised to never zero out nitrate or po4.

CasperOe

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First, before doing anything rash! Are you 100% sure that your phosphate test kit is accurate? Might be worth it to pick up one from a different manufacturer and compare accordingly :)

If levels are confirmed, start by feeding a bit less. These levels don't come from nowhere, but represents what goes in the tank in form of nutrition. Get that under control, do your water changes and you will se it coming down nicely.

What size of tank do you have and what sort of filtration are you running? Before playing with any chemicals, look in to if you can improve your filtration and again- your feeding habits! It is about balancing what goes in- and what comes out!

Anything less than a "permanent" change will bite you in the behind down the road..

Last edited:
OP
OP
Zoriem

Zoriem

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Po4 is tricky. You have a few options you can Google or search on Reef2reef.

Bio pellets
GFO
Carbon dosing
Lanthium chloride

They all have pros and cons and you would need to determine the fit with your style.

It is generally advised to never zero out nitrate or po4.
Thanks for the suggestions, i will do do some research about them

OP
OP
Zoriem

Zoriem

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First, before doing anything rash! Are you 100% sure that your phosphate test kit is accurate? Might be worth it to pick up one from a different manufacturer and compare accordingly :)

If levels are confirmed, start by feeding a bit less. These levels don't come from nowhere, but represents what goes in the tank in form of nutrition. Get that under control, do your water changes and you will se it coming down nicely.

What size of tank do you have and what sort of filtration are you running? Before playing with any chemicals, look in to if you can improve your filtration and again- your feeding habits!

Anything less than a "permanent" change will bite you in the behind down the road..
Tank Size is 20gal. Red sea Max nano with protein skimmer.
have testes with Hanna Checker and Salifert , i get pretty similar results.
updated 3Dprinted basket filled with media and right on top of that filter floss. No filter sock

Yea I defenily need to feed less , i feel thats one of the main reason if not the main rason of my high phosphate.
Also im not sure if this affects my parameters, when feeding i add 0.3ml of Polyp-Booster ("Triggers A Feeding Response") and add a few drops of Selcon to frozen Mysis shrimp
have also been feeding reef roids once a week.
-Also adding 5ml of phyto every other day.

I guess i just need to stop adding to much crap in my tank.

CasperOe

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

View attachment 3173524
Manual measurements, right>
updated 3Dprinted basket filled with media and right on top of that filter floss. No filter sock

Yea I defenily need to feed less , i feel thats one of the main reason if not the main rason of my high phosphate.
Also im not sure if this affects my parameters, when feeding i add 0.3ml of Polyp-Booster ("Triggers A Feeding Response") and add a few drops of Selcon to frozen Mysis shrimp

Yeah man, dial it all back a wee bit; do some larges water changes and get it under control! :) It is hard on a Max Nano to upgrade filtration much (.. lovely bit of kit btw!) so think about what goes in!

On a tank like yours, of the options suggested Carbon Dosing is likely to be the 'easiest' one to go ahead with. Are you following Red Sea's ReefCare program? If so, NoPox is a possibly - just be careful with the dosing.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

biom

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 just stop and be patient your aquarium is still less than a month old. Feed carefully with very small amount of food. Are there corals? Reef roids are notorious with phosphorus compounds.

dwest

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I would feed fish what they need and do normal water changes. I would stop the other stuff.

If and when phosphates come down, it will happen very slowly as phosphates get bound to sand and rocks and is released back into the water very slowly. That’s OK.

jda

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do not worry about phosphate yet. Give your tank more time.

If you want to worry about phosphates, you need a good tool and the Hannah Checker is the only one worth a darn... any of thems.

If you are really that high, then it is likely from some dry/dead rock that you used that is full of terrestrial phosphate or caked with dead organic matter that is decaying.

If you do eventually want to lower, water changes don't do much for lowering po4, but they are important for other things. I would still change water, just not for this. Media as discussed above is better.

OP
OP
Zoriem

Zoriem

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would feed fish what they need and do normal water changes. I would stop the other stuff.

If and when phosphates come down, it will happen very slowly as phosphates get bound to sand and rocks and is released back into the water very slowly. That’s OK.
Oh i see so i will be seeing those high numbers for a while then unless using GFO or other type of chemical media

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
Zoriem

Zoriem

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do not worry about phosphate yet. Give your tank more time.

If you want to worry about phosphates, you need a good tool and the Hannah Checker is the only one worth a darn... any of thems.

If you are really that high, then it is likely from some dry/dead rock that you used that is full of terrestrial phosphate or caked with dead organic matter that is decaying.

If you do eventually want to lower, water changes don't do much for lowering po4, but they are important for other things. I would still change water, just not for this. Media as discussed above is better.
Now that you mention the Dry/Dead rock. I bought this set up from someone else that had been cycling the tank for over 3 weeks.
when i brought it home , i didnt set it up right away and whatever live bacteria there was on the rocks died. (Left the rocks outside the water for over a week) Could this be the issue of my phosphates increasing? and if yes what would be the best options to preventing it from increasing or to keep it under control

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Black Label Aquatics
Back